Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain Stopped Suddenly

I have an odd one, here’s a little history, almost 5 years ago from a work injury I received 3 bulging disc, all 3 disc a few years later was found to have complete tears after a discogram and CT/scan was done, the L5-S1 disc was the disc causing all my pain and numbness, drop foot and changing cauda equine type symptoms, basically the S1 nerve on the left side is the problem nerve confirmed by MRI and Myelogram and possible nerve damage from a couple of EMG/NCV tests. The S1 nerve is almost completely pinched off. I should also say about 8 years ago I had a laminectomy and decompression on the bottom 2 discs.
The latest thing my surgeon wanted to do was the 2 level front/back fusion with an artificial disc above the fusion, every time I had asked a surgeon if I can just get by doing another decompression I would get the same story, it wouldn't last long. I also have pain in 1 knee and hip from walking with a bad limp for a few years. Well 2 days ago after waking up all my back pain, drop foot, limp was gone, the only pain I felt since was the knee and hip, I can stand and walk again like nothing has ever happened. I suspect this might be temporary but I sure would like to hear some best guess from members what could have changed.

• I've read before that sometimes you can wear out disc so bad that the nerve quits hurting... don't know if that is true. I'd recommend not overdoing it while you are feeling great because there is still some problems back there. I certainly would get back to the surgeon asap so he can be sure that this "no pain" issue isn't a bad sign. But I do hope you continue to be pain free!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I was totally pain free when I had my first fusion. However my disc was tangled up in the nerves pinching them off. I agree with AllMetal, don't over do it and risk more damage. Contact your surgeon.

Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Thank's, I did set up an appointment for a new MRI with my work comp doctor plus another appointment for a second opinion with my own doctor.
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 05/05/2013 - 10:35 AM
    Keep us updated on the out comes of your appointments.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • kev_bkkev_b Posts: 22
    edited 05/31/2013 - 9:37 PM
    My pain was MIA for a few weeks before coming back slowly, the pain is different and not in all the same places as before, I seen one of my doctors today and he requested a new MRI with contrast.
    I knew being pain free wouldn’t have last forever but I was hoping for more time, it was nice while it lasted.
  • I guess it’s time for an update, my pain gradually came back at about 3 weeks only worse than before, 1 EMG/NCV and 2 MRI’s one with contrast later. 6mm bulge on 2 discs and a 4 mm on another, possible nerve damage, foraminal stenosis real bad as well as a few other things. My pain doctor requested another ESI shot which I am still waiting to hear back on and a referral to a new neural surgeon, all of which will have to be put on hold because of a shoulder surgery this week. To be continued!
  • Sorry to hear about the latest news. Shoulder surgery too? I hope you have a speedy, uneventful recovery. Do be careful and take it really easy in the meantime.
    You have more than enough happening right now.
  • I had my first injection exactly 2 wks ago. Just had another one today. I got on the scale I've lost 5 pounds. I had headaches they stopped, had gained 15 pounds as well. Also I can't sleep and have terrible nightmares and blurry vision. So I begin to do yoga and Pilates everyday, stretch, meditate and pray. Also I drink water only now. Cleanse my body with a 7 day detox full body cleanser. Then I started walking everyday to the mailbox and back as many times as I could. It really helps to stop buying junk food so u don't see it. When steroids make you gain it's bec we can sometimes sit around bec were in pain and have nothing else to do while your sitting but eat. I did that. After saying ok I lost 60 pounds in 2011/2012 I will not gain it back. So I cut back no sweets, sodas, pastas and walk or do yoga. It helps alot I don't have headaches anymore and I'm loosing the weight. You got to try something that you can tolerate cut back on food that's bad or a weight gainer. Replace them with grapes apples or fruit and veggie and water. The only thing I experience now Is the can't sleep and blurry vision sometimes. I try to workout around 6-8 pm tire myself out shower then I'm sleepy so bad I can't easily wake up. Muscles get stiff from just sitting or standing stretch them slowly and cautiously do not go fast be careful doing yoga, meditate, pray, cut back walk to your mailbox everyday encourage yourself and most important cut back and watch what you eat and how much. My pain is alot better I still hurt but not nearly as bad. I go back for another one in 2/3 weeks my last injection. Also my period came on 9/3 usually last 3/4 days it only lasted 2 days I hope this doesn't get worse. Everyone have faith and never stop praying encourage yourself think positive and stretch those muscles. You can do it! I hope everyone gets better so sorry for all your pain.
  • I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

• Well I need to update again after surgery today, it turned out the surgeon only had to do a subacromial decompression on my left shoulder but after getting home the back pain is to a point that everytime I put any weight on my left leg it gives out from intense pain. I was already having trouble laying flat on my back and I was flat on my back for 6+ hours today, I don't know if something happened to the back while laying down so long or when they lifted me from the pre op bed to the OR table.
    If this doesn't let up by the end of the weekend I will try and get in to see my Primary work comp doctor, if not then I'm off to the ER again.
  • I'm sorry Kev.............I hope that it is simply from laying on the OR table for so many hours. I hope that the pain subsides and if it does not, and the leg continues to give out, it is definately time to see the back surgeon.
This discussion has been closed.