Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can anyone help me please? Severe sciatica taking morphine when I get out of bed!

Please can anyone offer any advice? I have been told I have sciatica right leg, severe pain especially knee downwards to ankle. I've been given naproxen 50mg 3 x daily, tramadol 100mg x4 daily, amytryptaline at night and oramorph liquid for severe pain which I have to use when I get out of bed in the mornings. Can anyone explain why it's so bad in the mornings usually about 5 mins after getting out of bed? I've been booked for MRI and have had sciatica 3 yrs ago same leg. I'm seeing physio and chiropractor but am terrified its a tumour as I can't believe sciatic pain could be so painfull? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated? Many thanks Wendy

• sciatic pain can be very awful in the mornings,at least for me.i think it is because i was loosened up, thru out the day.i have been dealing with it for over 2 years now.and to top it off, i feel hungover every morning from the meds.
  • It's about 10 mins after I get up severe pain in my lower leg and foot, I'm just terrified its a tumour or something so its nice to hear from other people thanks
  • your welcome, mine last a couple hours until i get to work and start moving around, also i feel i little better after i do some stretches in the morning. but my pain is in the back of my knee, and calf area. it used to be the piriformis area, so this is my new pain since January. it sucks
  • Its good your having an mri. I had siatic pain for 2 yrs.I did everything chiropractor, pt,massage ect.It only got worse so I went to a good orthopedic surgeon and he looked at my exrays and mri and found I had 2 crushed disks, scoliosis,DDD,I had surgery march 13 and getting better everyday.If you don't get results I would see a good surgeon.They only operate when they have too .Good luck.kathy
    Kathy B
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I have the same type of problem, about 2 yrs ago I saw a post on here about walking. so I tried it, it worked some. much better if I get up and move, it is hard and sometimes I have to push my self, sometimes I give up. but I think about what the people said about walking, "DID I FORGET TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT WALKING". anyway we are all caught in this loop and we all respond to it different so ???? make sure your DOC knows about it! GOOD TO YOU AND YOURS!! Darrell.
  • I started having bad left leg pain in calf all night about 2 yrs ago and since its progresses to whole leg and recently knee for some reason. I though I had cancer in my leg, pain is so bad. Went for MRI and its a disk herniation in L5-S1 that is contacting and displacing S1 nerve root. So I understand your pain and getting a MRI may bring answers for you
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 05/03/2013 - 5:35 PM
    When I was struggling with sciatica I found two major things helped me, and would be safe for pretty much anyone to try. First was I stretched the front and back of my thighs as well as the muscle going over the sciatic nerve (various exercises can be done for all three of these depending on back history, current flexibility, etc.). I'd do this a minimum of 3 times a day. The second thing I found to help was when I woke up I'd stay in the bed and move my legs for several minutes and stretch while laying down. That did help me... sometimes it would take 20 minutes of that before I could get out of bed with some confidence that I was not going to suffer. Oh, I lied... there are 3 things... ice back on the offending buttocks. I hope you are able to find a way to treat this issue.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I have just had a call from dr 4 days after my MRI he wants to see me to discuss but duty dr has given me results as follows. Bulging disc at L5 S1 my symptoms are much better than they've been and I'm hoping to return to work. Can anyone give me any advice please on any issues that may help? Thanks
  • Good luck with your appointment to discuss the findings with your doctor. As far as us giving you what options he may want to discuss with you goes, we can't do that. He will base his recommendations on his physical exam, your complaints of pain, intensity, location , as well as his interpretation of the scan done to base his recommedations on.
  • Wendyb69WWendyb69 Posts: 6
    edited 08/26/2013 - 10:50 AM
    I've just had my MRI results can anyone explain further please? I've had severe right leg sciatic pain that's had me on morphine, tramadol, naproxen and amytriptaline also TENS for the last 16 weeks. The pain is now decreasing but I only just got my scan last week. The results said disc bulge at L5/S1 with no evidence of spinal canal stenosis or the cal sac compression. The disc extends into the right L5/S1 exit foraman and this in combination with osteophyte results in narrowing of the foraman and flattening of the right L5 exiting nerve root. The left L5/S1 exit foraman is capacious.
    No other significant findings?