Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

S1 Nerve Root Block Injections

s4ndhurst2ss4ndhurst2 Posts: 1
edited 05/02/2013 - 5:14 PM in Spinal Injections
First of all I would like to thank the creators of this wonderful website...I am a regular visitor and have been reading information for a couple of years now and I reccommend it to anyone needing good information.

However, I am now after information that I can't seem to find online. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a Nerve Root Block injection and thought that the wrong nerve has been chosen?

I have a history of facet joint injections, discogram, and anterior discectomy (ALIF) at L4/L5 and L5/S1 with metal cages, artificial bone, plate and screws. I had an S1 nerve root block injection done 1 week ago to try and ease my sciatica symptoms and to help my Neurosugeon diagnose whether one of the anterior screws is irritating the S1 nerve. The idea was that if the nerve root injection was successful, it would give me some relief and confirm if the S1 nerve is the cause, then a CT Scan can be done to investigate further. Unforunately, I have had increased leg/foot numbness/weakness since a couple of days after the injection.

Prior to the injection, my symptoms were on the top of my foot, outer ankle area, outer side of calf and outer side of thigh. Looking at lumbar nerve innovation dermatome diagrams, this is due to the L5 nerve root.

After my S1 injection I now have numbness inmy 3 littlest toes and down the back of my thigh in the hamstring area, as well as the original areas that were already affected.

Even though I clearly described my original leg/foot symptoms to the Spinal Physiotherapist and Neurosurgeon, they suggested blocking the S1 level.

Can anyone give advice or reassurance please? I am worried that the S1 nerve root block injection has numbed my leg in new places and that I will have to wait for this to die down over a long period of time.

I have been checked today by a Doctor in Neurosurery and have to go for an MRI scan in the next week. It did not occur to me until this evening that maybe it is because the wrong nerve was selected in the first place!

Any advice would be greatly apprecited...thank you for your interest.

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 05/03/2013 - 6:22 PM
    Sounds like you have had lots of complications. Funny, I to have issues with my three little toes on the left and extremely similar leg issues, however I know I have nerve damage at various joints, so I'm not sure what stems from what. I'm sure it's possible that maybe having a different level blocked could bring you more relief. I would call the surgical nurse and ask that on Monday. It's a good question to ask and the nurse might know the answer and if not could ask the doctor and get back with you.
    Until then, I find my husband lightly rubbing my numb/sometimes painful areas feels so good... it doesn't take it away but it relaxes me... perhaps you could try that. Not massage, but just rub over the area (does that make sense?)
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.