Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain

I am new to this type of pain. I have been managing pretty okay, but still learning more about the patterns and other co-curring symptoms that go with it.

I am feeling frustrated and feel embarrassed. I can handle the pain okay, but the anxiety from the burning feelings is intense.

I have been employing as much mind-over-matter as possible. It takes a lot out of me emotionally to get through severe flare ups, not cry, and try to stay limp and not tense up!

I have learned what it takes to get through it and recover from it, but feel exhausted and can't think straight and embarrassed to let anyone see what I feel like. I don't like going to the doctor and that stresses me out a lot, too.

I do EFT tapping to keep my mind as distracted as possible from the burning, but am developing all these "comfort" behaviors that are embarrassing as well. I am trying to toughen up emotionally, but don't have much emotional support and am new all of this. I try not to worry past the moment, and feel good knowing that I have taken charge the best I can.

The type of pain I have waxes and wanes, but when it gets bad I feel aftershock and feel like a wimp for wanting to cry and the intensity and variety of the symptoms vary hour to hour and day by day.

I eat a lot of raw foods and take vitamins, get magnesium and potassium, vitamin b, chondriton and glucosomine. I adjust my supplements depending on how much I get from food. Warm baths help somewhat, but accupressure and light massage are the main things that help. My support system is what is lacking the most, and finding someone to talk to that experiences this grade and type of pain. Anyone with out there with similar issues, how do you cope emotionally and what has helped you?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 05/03/2013 - 5:53 PM
    hey laneygirl,
    Sounds like you do have a good game plan going on already but you must feel it's not good enough. Not sure what tests you have had done to confirm the source of your nerve pain but your Dr or a pain management Dr may be able to pin point the source. You are not alone feeling anxiety when seeing a physician but I am sure there is some support out there to help you cope with that. That being said there are several nerve pain meds that may be beneficial, again professional follow up is the best support.
    Staying busy as a distraction works well for me and I have tried to avoid serious medication but over time that is the only way for me to sleep and get the rest I need, be productive in my career, and stay fit. This is not an easy road but if you research and be your own advocate you will be surprised what you can do to help yourself.
    Best wishes to you,