Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My journey (sciatica)

HoLLaBaCKHHoLLaBaCK Posts: 1
Hello All,

I came just across this forum and read thru some post and decided to tell my story (so far). Im a 31 year old male, over the years I had very minor bouts with sciatica pain mostly lasting a minute or two every now and again (out of ignorance I just thought it was muscle pain). In May 2012 I had a slip and fall down stairs and this is where my battle with sciatica pain truly began.

I went to my doctor who ordered and x-ray and sent me to a Chiropractor. I was going to this Chiropractor 3 times a week for 3 months, nothing he did seemed to work. My doctor ordered a MRI and the results were I had herniated L5/S1 disc's which caused a pinched nerve. I was completely frustrated because there was no pain in my back but my leg ached from my hip to my calf, the pain was so severe I couldn't work and I wouldn't leave the house unless it was for a doctors appointment. The Chiropractor had a pain management doctor who gave me Cortisone shot (which did nothing). I began to do some research and noticed the Chiropractor wasn't really doing anything to help but just keep me coming back, the pain management doctor didn't even use an x-ray to administer the shot (he just felt my back). I cancelled my appointments with the Chiropractor.

In September I went to my doctor and told him I wanted surgery done. He sent me to a Neuro surgeon who took 1 look at my MRI and said I needed a Mircodiscectomy. He informed me I should have come sooner as the longer the nerve is pinched the higher the chances of permanent nerve damage. He scheduled me for surgery about a week later. The surgery went well, I had pain in my back and it was difficult to move but overall the pain was WAY more tolerable then dealing with the sciatica pain. Every now and again I would feel the sciatica pain but my surgeon told me this was normal (the nerve was healing itself). Within 2 months I felt good enough to return to work. By January I was feeling great and began to work out to lose weight and strengthen my core (as my doctor suggested).

Life was great no pain with just minor soreness in my back that was easily dealt with Motrin. I lost about 40lbs from Jan-April, then at work last week I tried to open a stuck door and my back became sore. The sciatica pain wasn't immediate but by the end of the day it was back. It's so painful (feels even worse then b4), My Surgeon is away on business but he ordered a MRI (awaiting results) and sent me to his pain management doctor. The doctor felt my back and from where it hurt he doesn't think I damaged my spine but it might be a muscle pinching the nerve. He gave me oxycodone and lyrica on Monday I will get an epidural.

Hopefully all goes well because after going several months with no pain I cant deal with this pain. If this shot doesn't work and I am still in pain I will ask the surgeon (in 2 weeks when he returns) to do another surgery. Anybody dealing with sciatica pain that hasn't tried surgery for whatever reason I suggest you consider it as it greatly improved my quality of life. I will keep you all posted on my situation, and I wish ALL of you luck bc I feel your pain (literally).

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery