Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical disc problems and symptoms

Hello!

First timer here and looking for a little bit of advice...

I had a private scan on my neck 2 years ago which showed herniation of the c6-c7 disc, prior to which I have suffered with varying degrees of pain (depending on the level of herniation I suppose!) from 2009.

I have not had a period of being 'pain free' for over 2 years but mostly it's an annoyance, rather than debilitating. I often have neck pain, shoulder pain and pains in my right arm.

Recently I have been having 'new' symptoms which I am presuming are related to my neck and I was wondering if anyone else has suffered with the same and also whether they will get better!!

I am now getting pins and needles in my hands and feet, as well as a feeling of 'hotness'. These are intermittent and much more noticable when I'm still - especially at night. Last night I woke up to really bad pins and needles which stretched into my calves from my feet and also up my right arm. I got up and walked around a little and they subsided.

So I guess I'm looking for a little bit of reassurance as this is so depressing - I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with this. I'm having some physio soon and so hoping this will help, but seeing as these pins and needles have arrived after my referral I'm thinking I should go back to the doctors too. I'm 33 and feel like I'm falling apart!!

Any advice is appreciated :)
advertisement

Comments

• "I have not had a period of being 'pain free' for over 2 years but mostly it's an annoyance, rather than debilitating. I often have neck pain, shoulder pain and pains in my right arm.

Recently I have been having 'new' symptoms which I am presuming are related to my neck and I was wondering if anyone else has suffered with the same and also whether they will get better!!

I am now getting pins and needles in my hands and feet, as well as a feeling of 'hotness'. These are intermittent and much more noticable when I'm still - especially at night. Last night I woke up to really bad pins and needles which stretched into my calves from my feet and also up my right arm. I got up and walked around a little and they subsided."

Oooops... I meant left arm whenever I wrote right arm!

• I have made the same mistake myself saying one side when I meant the other one!
    Welcome to Spine Health. This is a friendly place where you can ask questions and talk to others who have spinal problems and can share their experiences. Please note though that we are not medically trained, and so only speak of our own experience. This is often very supportive just to know that you are not alone in what you are going through. :-)

I have had a lumbar fusion of L4/5 and also a cervical fusion of C3/4/5.
    The lumbar fusion got rid of my pains in my legs and also most of the lower back pain.
    Then my neck started to shout louder to get my attention. The pain from that was never as bad as from my lumbar spine.

My symptoms from that were neck and shoulder pain, aching arms, especially at night and pins and needles, stabbing and pricking pains, burning and occassional numbness in my hands, wrists, elbows and arms on both sides. I also started to get the pains, stabbing pain and numbness and cramping in the toes of both feet, but mostly the right foot.
    My surgeon said that it was all coming from the compression of my cord in my neck and that we needed to get on and get the pressure off it. I am still waiting (after 6 months) to have relief from these symptoms although headaches that I was also getting are better than they were.

I believe that if you have nerve root compression your arms will be affected, but if you have cord compression then you can have symptoms just about anywhere. If there is compression in your lumbar spine then the symptoms would be in your legs.

Have you had your lumbar spine checked and scanned? If that is ok, then perhaps it is time to have a fresh MRI of your neck to check that things haven't got worse.

I hope that they will find out what is going on and then be able to help you with conservative methods. Good luck! :-)

• FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 05/05/2013 - 7:41 AM
    HI there, Lucy:

Yes, I think you are correct. It's time to go the next step. I would suggest not waiting or putting it off simply because it appears your symptoms are increasing and not staying the same. They are all likely connected (I have tingling in my left hand) - and that is from my cervical issues. Fortunately, mine is not painful.

Let us know what happens!
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Thank you guys :))

Yes, I will go back to the doctor and ask for a further scan. I've only ever had my neck scanned so hopefully the doc will order a more in depth one this time. Such a shame - I was hoping to fix up as best I could then move on. I hadn't factored in further degredation, just presumed I'd only struggle with the same spot.

It's nice to have a site to visit where I can chat to others who have problems, although reading some of what people go through on here makes me very sad. Real suffering :(

So thank you both and I'll let you know how I get on!

advertisement