Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sharp pain in spine after L5 ALIF

my l5 alif was April 8, 10 days post op my lower back hurt just as bad as it did before surgery, dr stated if still hurt in a couple weeks to call, about a week later it wasn't as bad but then I had more left leg/nerve pain(majority of my pain before surgery was on the right side) now that pain isn't bad but I have very, very sharp pains going up my spine and the left side of my spine from probably where the screws are on up every time I sit down no matter how straight I keep my back. has anyone else had this type of pain? I had cut back on the pain pills but the past two days I'm back to taking them morning and night. I still have 3 weeks scheduled off work from a desk job and am really hoping I won't have problems when I do go back! this is so frustrating and I'm in tears every time I get this pain....

• I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm about 3 weeks post op ALIF L5-S1 and have had major pain in my back (same as before). I was expecting that to take several months to resolve because I've had problems for over 3 years. The nerve pain in my butt and legs though have been a real killer. I called the nurse and they prescribed neurontin and I have been taking Hydrocodone 10's 3 times a day which is more than what I thought I would be right now and more than what I was taking before the surgery. They also told me that I would more than likely have permanent nerve damage but it will take time to see how much. I had no idea I didn't even think to ask about this when speaking with the doctor. I too am faced with returning to work in about 3 weeks (that was the plan). I can't function on the medication at work and I certainly can't function with the pain. So I am stressed and hurting. It's a lot to deal with having pressure to return to work and having miserable pain. I'm sorry you also have to be going through this :(
  • This pain is normal. Im on week 7 and I had the back pain and nerve pain real bad up until a wk ago now its settling down. I had L4L5S1 march 13th. Give it time and don't stop pills yet ,its too soon.The healing takes time. kathy
    Kathy B
  • flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 05/05/2013 - 12:53 PM
    This pain is normal. Im on week 7 and I had the back pain and nerve pain real bad up until a wk ago now its settling down. I had L4L5S1 march 13th. Give it time and don't stop pills yet ,its too soon.The healing takes time. kathy
    Kathy B
  • kareni-I'm glad I'm not alone, know how you feel seems like every week has been a different kind of pain. I'm on Percocet and a muscle relaxer. my doctor never said anything to me about having any nerve damage, although he's not the best at explaining things. I've been like this as well for more then 3 yrs, started out with pinched sciatic nerve, dealt with that for a year then had a laminectomy, was relieved for a few months then it came back with more agressive back pain so that's the reason for my fusion. I'm only 35 yet feel like I'm 80. I'm thinking if my back is still hurting in the next 2 weeks I might get a second opinion.
    flowerpots-thanks for the advice! glad you are doing better, can only hope I will be that time too!
  • Thanks Kathy, I certainly don't plan on giving up on my meds for nerve pain yet. It just needs to allow me to function soon! Scorder- I would definately ask about the nerve pain and maybe there's something for it. Nerve pain doesn't respond to regular pain meds like back pain does. I had no idea about it either until I found this website and then I called the nurse but apparently it's a thing. I understand how you feel though about age. I'm 34 and feel much older. One doctor told me that I have a back of someone much older. For no apparent reason, lucky me! I do get scared sometimes that this might be my life but hopeful that it will get better. I guess that's all you can do :)