Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back and Shoulder pain

I have severe back and shoulder pain that is constant. I take #10 mg percocet 3 x's a day but it just keeps the pain manageable. There is nothing that can be done, no surgery...and I've tried PT, and other non-medicated type treatments and the only thing that seems to help are the meds. I have talked to my Dr. and realize the addiction factor, but I choose that over the option of dealing with the pain on a day to day basis. There are days that i wouldn't be able to get out of bed without my meds, it's that bad.
I occasionally run out of my meds at the end of the month and I usually don't tell my doctor because of the stigma attached to it. They act like I'm Michael Jackson or something. I feel like they look down at me and treat me like a dope fiend. I hate that, so instead, I go out and buy some to last me til the end of the month. I only deal with percocet and it's surprisingly hard to find people who sell the, I don't deal with many people so I'm not out there to really know where to get them. I don't just go out and buy whatever I can get or deal with other drugs. So even though I know I have an addiction, I don't consider myself a drug addict.
How can i deal with my doctors view of taking pain medications and what can I do when I do run short? I would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

• charlie6017charlie6017 Posts: 412
    edited 05/05/2013 - 2:13 PM

Welcome to the forums! :-)

I have to ask, what do you mean when you say "you only deal with percocet?" Is that by your choice or is that because you have problems with other medication? The stigma is there these days for a very good reason, because people are easily addicted and abused, as you know.

If you are able to tolerate other medicines, maybe your doctor could prescribe medicine that would be better suited to make your pain levels more tolerable. Taking too much medicine can do major damage........whether by liver damage with the APAP or constipation. But like I said, doctors have every right to keep wary eyes on their patients regarding opioids.

I'm just sayin'..........be careful out there. I hope you can get your situation rectified for your own sake. Good luck.

• As I'm sure you are aware, taking more meds than you are prescribed is considered to be self medicating and running out early will get you dismissed from pain management. Buying drugs off the street is not only illegal , but can wind you up in a grave. You are taking chances that can and will put yourself and your loved ones at risk.
    What will you do when your doctor does a random urine or blood test and you have no meds in your system or have too much? Both will get you dismissed. Then it will be extremely difficult to find another doctor to treat you.
    If your current med regimen is not working, call or visit your doctor and ask what he recommends.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 05/14/2013 - 11:25 AM
    not only what you said but it will make it harder for us who use them in the long run. if you signed a pain contract, which i assumed you did, your doctor can drop you immediately if he found out. and that is without meds or anyting. you would have to go through withdrawl cold turkey.this is a big no no by the way you are also breaking the law by buying drugs off the street;, cold turkey and going to jell. sounds great to me. why would you tell us this stuff is beyond me.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.