Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 months post op swelling

I am going on 8 months post op L4-L5 discectomy. I had normal incision swelling after surgery that eventually went away. I did not come out of the surgery sciatic pain free and have had mild to moderate pain on a daily basis since(waiting for the "18 month nerve healing" period to pass). I had a 3 month post op MRI that didn't show any additional herniation and that the nerves were as free as my surgeon could get them, according to him.

A few weeks ago I noticed that my back around the incision would swell up a little bit from time to time when I would sit too long or have a harder work day. About two weeks ago the swelling became more permanent throughout the day and I noticed that my hip/leg pain became a little more severe and bothersome. I used to be able to feel my spine down the incision area but now I can't feel it due to the inflammation. The swelling has not really gone down at all despite taking ibuprofen on a regular basis and icing the area several times a day. There is no noticeable increase in back stiffness/pain, just more leg pain and occasional foot tingling. The swollen area is just over 2 inches long and starts an inch or so above my incision and ends at the bottom of my incision.

I called my surgeon's office a few days ago to ask about this and the assistant I talked to pretty much said that it is NOT common for anything to be swollen this far out of surgery, but there is nothing they would really do right now for me unless "it really starts affecting my quality of life). I said that I would keep an eye on it, but the whole reason I called was because I did notice a difference and my leg pain has increased.

So has anyone who has had surgery experienced this? Or is this something that is normal? It has been long enough where I am really starting to get worried. If it was a minor tweak or something, I would have expected the swelling to go down by now.

Thank you.

• JeffwBrokenBackJJeffwBrokenBack Posts: 1
    edited 04/06/2014 - 3:51 PM
    Your back swelling sounds just like mine. My swelling is a bit larger area than yours, over 4 inches. So the pain is hip, leg, foot. and lower back. The pain level has increased from 2 percocet's a day to 80 mg Oxycontin and 4 percocet's a day. This is after a 2 operation total fusion of the lumbar area. My pain level continues to increase monthly. For the past 4 months I have had no relief from the pain. The pain increase seems to be accelerating. I can no longer sit for more than 10 minutes. I only leave my house one day a week to shop for food. If I drive over 30 minutes in traffic, I have to pull over and walk for a while until the pain subsides. I can only sleep on my stomach because the pain is so bad in any other position. Using the Oxycontin I no longer can self medicate with alcohol. I had restricted this boost to super bad pain days. Now I simply go to bed.

My neurosurgeon just says I have 2 big procedures and recommends time to heal. My pain doctor says to talk to the neurosurgeon. My quality of life is pretty non existent. I am now spending 15 hours a day in bed and the swelling no longer goes down. I use both ice and heat neither helps at all.

I need help because I'm giving up hope. I need someone who knows what is going on.

Thank you.
    Jeff in Miami Still In Pain!