Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Pump/ LA Meds

I have a question... What can I do if I am really interested in getting a Pain Pump but my PM Dr. doesn't do them or refer you to anyone that does? I have been in Pain Management for about 10 years with 2 different Dr.'s and they both don't like the Pump...Right now I am only taking Oxycodone and nothing Long Acting. I go tomorrow and supposedly they will put me on something LA...The only LA meds I have taken are Methadone (never again) and Morphine... The morphine made be break out and itch so that's off the table... Now, I know that I will have to take a LA med again before I can even think about the PUMP... so what is next??? They tried to get the Duragesic Patch to go through my insurance (Medicaid at the time) and they wanted Step Therapy...Now I have Medicare with great Prescription Drug Coverage that will cover Opana ER (up to 6 a day) and Duragesic Patches.. I know it's not good to mention any med by name but I feel like I have to.. There aren't many options for me for the LA meds and I have to try them to be able to even discuss the pump...
Any suggestions? Anyone out there on Opana ER 15 mg. or the Patches? I would love some feedback...

• The ER medications are only meant to be taken once or twice a day normally.
    There is absolutely no reason for anyone to take ER medications 6 times a day, ever.
    You can bring a copy of the prescription formulary with. you to the appointment and show them what
    is covered under your insurance. There are many options for them to choose from-oxycontin, kadian, morphine er, opana er and others. By the way morphines are known to cause itching when first using them but it subsides unless you also develop hives , a rash, and difficulty breathing.
  • My opinion is they messed Opana up with the new abuse proof version of it, so I would advise against it. I hear there is a generic ER out there still though. I had the old 20mg every 8 hrs and it worked pretty good. Then, they made it abuse proof and it felt like the strength was cut in half, so I'm now am on Oxycontin every 8 hrs. If you ask me, Oxycodone is superior to Oxymorphone(Opana). Two reasons...the bioavailability of oxymorphone is something like 10% where oxycodone is somewhere around 90%. (How much actually gets in your system) The other reason is oxymorphone withdrawal is 10 times worse than oxycodone, even when switching to another narcotic. Don't know why but I speak from experience. No reason to put yourself through that if it can be avoided by taking something else,
    Sandi is right. Take in the formulary and just explain why you are asking for such and such. They will understand. Well, if you have a good doc they will! Good luck!