Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

coflex inter- vertebrae implant

Ten dyas ago I had one of these devices implanted ( first one for this surgeon but not many other docs putting them in so not much to choose from). I wanted to avoid a fusion like the plague so this is a step down the "invasive" ladder and I did it along with the removal of a pretty large facet joint synovial cyst at the L4-level and facet joint deterioration at most levels. I read and was told that when you remove a lot of structural material to get at the cyst which attaches to the dura many times (in my case as well), then not going back in with some kind of stabilizing hardware invites future instabilty problems and more nerve compression down the pike. I had a C5 decompression as recently as January and that was a picnic to come back from compared to this lower back stuff. As the surgical site pain diminishes and the incision heals, I'm now able to notice focused pain at the Coflex insert device site. Never had metal left in me post surgery so I'm wondering how much pain is expected pain, how many days/weeks must pass before this titanium insert stops feeling like a small blade knife has been implanted during surgery. Hasn't exactly lived up to its minimally invasive billing yet but I'm guessing a full on fusion would be still more "blocky" and rigid and painful than this single level implant that rests between the spinous processes. I'd welcome anyone else's surgery and post surgery experiences (timetables, recovery stages, pain departure stages if ever, etc.) who may have had a similar non- fused device installed in their lower back...

• pandqmamappandqmama Posts: 175
    edited 05/08/2013 - 4:19 PM
    I am four weeks post spinal cord stimulator implant. I have a paddle from T8 to T10 and then a device in lower left back away from spine. It took me about three weeks to really not have it constantly hurting me. I can now still feel it , but it doesnt hurt like it originally did.

I would give yourself at least another two weeks, see where you are then.
  • hello had acoflax placed 6 weeks ago am doing great a little sore and a tired back but i think it needs time to heal also my surgeon told me my body has to get used to a straighter position am hoping that that soreness goes away success

• Thanks for your comments. Is it necessary to wear a brace after this surgery?
    I get that there is some pain but hopefully it will not be worse than the numbness and weakness I feel now.
    I am in the US--South Florida area
  • josbornejjosborne Posts: 86
    edited 01/28/2014 - 2:50 PM
    I just had a coflex put in on 12/24/13 along with a laminectomy and discectomy, I felt better the 2nd week post op and now all of a sudden I feel like I've taken a turn for the worst. Nerve pain in my leg that didn't have it per surgery, constant dull pain at the surgery site and I can't sit halfway through my work day, anyone else have this experience???
    (12.24.13) L2-L3 Laminectomy, Discectomy and Coflex insertion. DX'ed with Ankylosing Spondylitis on 5/13/14
This discussion has been closed.