Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

developing PTSD after severe injuries

Ive always seen myself very mentaly strong stable very rational clear logicalybthinking person but after my injuries the strees the loss of sleep and seeing the life stress of my spouse seeing me in my contition is weighing so heavily on my brain. I came across a online ptsd symptom test that askes a serious of yes or no answer and if u answer yes to a certain number of questions you more than likly have ptsd I still feel very mentaly stable and never think of horrific things like suicide or bodily harm what so ever. However I do have recuring visions of the accident anxiety insomnia and just unbareable anger at myself thinkin I could have somehow avoided my accident etc yall kno what im talking bout however im a gun owner with a legal permit and firmly believe in protecting my family especially since im not the big strong man I used to be im despretly wanting relief from this mental anquish however dont wanna bring it up to the doc in fear of loosing gun rights? As I said I would never harm myself or others and think I can cope with it on my own terms but do yall recomend I discuss this with my doc or continue to deal with it on my own terms
Life after DEATH

• Im still seeing my surgeon he is awesome surgeon well respected and highly recomended in my area however now my surgery is over and he doesnt seem to care about how I feel or my pain or my numbness or my stress and anxiety he finally refered me to pain managment which is a month away with no medication while I suffer and wait for my appoitment because my surgeon doesnt treat long term or even care about pain and when I tell him how im feeling he just says its all normal and sends me on my way so hopefully my pain doc will be much more caring and willing to listen to me so ill probably mention it to him since im all workmans comp and see docs that are selected for me and take workers comp I believe there just insurance docs that just want me out of there office as quick as possible and dont care much about me cause he just an arrogant high up surgeon that just wants to move on to the next case! Ugh! (Sorry guys I kinda got off on a lil rant there) thanx to all and this website for the insight and to all best of luck with your journey of PAIN
    Life after DEATH
  • I am right there w/ you, as I am w/c also. When you can, if you dont already have an atty I would get one asap. They can be helpful in getting you in to the doc's office faster.
    Deppression/anxiety meds can be used in low dose for pain, which in turn can be helpful for what we are going thru. If you do not have an attorney and have a nurse case manager call her everyday until you are able to get to the docs office. PM docs are very aware of what this does to us and hopefully he/she can rx something for you.
    We all rant here and are good shoulders, since we all have been there done that.
    Try and do something each day that you used to like to do even if you dont want to, it could be of some benifit to keep your mind occupied and give you something to do.
    Unfortunatly the surgeon makes his living on us and has to harden themselves to us (I guess) I also think some are better than others at bedside manner too. Hopefully you will get a good PM doc. Try to not let it get you down, that is exactly what the insurance co wants to run you to the ground KEEP FIGHTING!!!!
  • U guys are awesome it relieves me u sayin they not to worried bout gun permits im not a looney toon lol shandra I see u had a fusion:( have u ever had a spinal injection? Im really nervous that may be recomended in my pain treatment im so nervous sketchy bout letting anyone touch my back since my injuries much less ram needles in my spine however I hurt so bad I would consider it but I hear such mixed experiances good and bad is that usually something recomended for spinalmfusion patients?
    Life after DEATH
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 05/12/2013 - 3:40 PM
    I have never had a "trauma". No accident or singular even caused the issues with my spine. However my spine issues and how they affect my family/friends as well as my future as I age weigh heavy on my mind. Sometimes its overwhelming. I'm happy you have found this forum and I hope you find the support (emotionally and intellectually) that you need. Please speak with your doctor.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.