Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 week post discectomy update.

Well I finally passed the 6 week mark, and started week 7. I have to say I had some good days and bad ones.
I woke up after surgery with buttock pain, week1&2 the pain was out if this world! I caught a stupid stomach flu on week 3. Though for sure I may have re herniated but surprisingly I had a better week on week 4. The pain diminished quite a bit. I was able to sit stand and walk longer than I was able to in a long time.

Week 5 caught a cold ...so all the sneezing and coughing brought on some more and newer pain coming into week 6. Before op I had pain in right buttock/back of thigh and mostly in inner heal. I was bed bound. Now I have pain in buttock, calf and under the heal. Not sure if that's normal or not but its definitely setting me back somewhat. My calf seems to want to seize up.

The pain is no where near the pain I was having before surgery!! But I have to say that sitting this week was still hard. I walk daily as much as I can but still lay quite a bit because sitting is still hard on me! Standing and walking this week is causing some moderate discomfort since the cold. But On a good note I start PT next week. I'm really looking forward to that!

• I am starting my 7th wk from L4L5S1 surgery and like you I all of a sudden have really bad butt pain and left side thigh pain. Its so bad I cant walk with out moaning, its really bad.I just saw the dr tues and exrays were good.He told me to start walking so I did some errands.I hope this is from doing too much.I feel like this is a setback.Dr said no pt until 3 mths.Hope everyone is painfree today kathy
    Kathy B
  • Thanks for replying flowerpot. My surgery was on march 21st. When I woke from surgery the buttock pain was still there. The surgeon was in disbelief . He said once he removed my large 18mm herniation my sciatic nerve went right back to where it's supposed to. Anyhow I followed up with my dr 5 days after and he said its quite normal to experience post sciatic pain. My surgeon gave my no restrictions as there's no evidence that BLT causes re herniation. In fact he wanted me to touch my toes that very morning. Hah! I didn't of course. When I seen te surgeon for my follow up it was on my fantabulous week, of course he was pleased as according to him he's never had one failed back surgery. I asked him about physio - he said I needed to excersise.!? So anyhow my family dr wants me to do physio.

I also called a chiropractor. He suggested that the sciatic pain could be caused by my piriformis muscle and would like to meet for a few sessions. He also has a shock wave machine and could do trigger point sessions if need be. But he's pretty sure it's piriformis we're dealing with.

I'm gona do the physio first if that doesn't help I'll ask for a new MRI .. I hate to waste my time if indeed I may of reherniated. I'll know more when I see my dr on may 28.
  • I had a double fusion, cut front and back. I was told about the nerve pain but this pain is different.If I still have it mon I am calling the dr. Should you be seeing a chiropractor without talking to your surgeon?I wouldn't go anywhere without talking to my surgeon while recovering.Thats just me!!!!What did you have done?Well hope we are painfree soon kathy
    Kathy B
  • I had a discectomy L5S1 level... I woke up with buttock pains, that never really went away. Chiro thinks its my piriformis acting up now. I wont see the chiro till Im 100% sure I didnt re herniate.
    My surgeron is in Toronto. Im not able to talk to him.
    I follow up with my family dr.
  • fmawickeffmawicke Posts: 3
    edited 05/13/2013 - 11:45 PM
    I saw this doctor in bulgaria who did ozone injections along my median(like what acupuncturists do sans ozone). she also did reflexology, laser, and thai methods. This worked on me. I will fly there to see her when my back again. but so far so good since august.

i have had two discectomies l5-s1. had a club foot after the later surgery. a bulgarian doctor EDIT brought my nerve back...no more club foot. and my back has been great since. 8 sessions...and a world of difference.

Post edited. Forum rules prohibit the naming of specific doctors
    Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• GSB, I def think that you should wait awhile yet before seeing the chiro. I think the safe bet is to let that disc heal completely before allowing for any manipulation. Deal with PT first. They will do the same types of things the chiro would do but on a much lighter scale with stretching & massage instaed of adjustment. Also all of the sypmtoms you have described are all things that I have gone through in my recovery. I just had an MRI last week & it was confirmed that everything was good. I am 8 months post-op and still have lingering symptoms & bad days. I still have extreme hamstring & calf tightness at times as well. But of course stay in contact with your docs & keep them updated on how you are doing. As for the BLT, yes maybe each in itself may not cause problems but do not combine any of the 2 or 3. I still will not lift mre than 40lbs from the floor. We have to make smart choices always because even when fully healed the disc will never be as strong as it should. Also the longer you were herniated the longer it is gonna take for the nerve to fully calm down. Mine still hasnt! PT will help alot but be patient with it, I went for over 14 weeks.

Kathy, with evrything I have gone through I cannot even imagine a double fusion! Def listen to the docs but walking and running errands are not the same! Please be careful & take it easy. Remember there is a reason the doc is not ordering PT until 3 months, and they are gonna start you out super-light. Try to avoid anything but walking until then. Also for both of you, part of PT is them teaching you whats ok & whats not for your body at this time. I know its super hard to be inactive, but you should give them a chance to teach you a bit before trying any activity on your own. I was also released from all restrictions at 6 weeks, but that DID NOT mean I could just do whatever I wanted. The way the surgeon looks at things comaped to the way the PT looks at them is totally different. The surgeon basically sez " I fixed it, youre good!" but the PT works with you to get the rest of your body right as well as the affected area.

Good Luck to you both!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • Hi Ben.
    I definitely won't let a chiro do any form of manipulation. I'm starting p.t. On Friday. I'm super excited. What I find funny is how the minute I sit in my truck to go somewhere my pain settles in for the rest of the day. I can sit at the kitchen table to have coffee , get up, no pain! Mornings are great! Anyhow I'm hoping pt will alleviate some stress I'm having about My recovery. I'm sure they've seen all kinds :)
  • flowerpotsfflowerpots Posts: 379
    edited 05/15/2013 - 4:58 PM
    Since I sean the dr ive been back on bed rest .I cant move or walk without being in a lot of pain in my lower back and butt.The dr said its normal.So I guess your right, no more doing what im not suppose too.I need to take it slow. Im just very frustrated sitting around. I want my life back so bad.Hope everyone is doing better today. kathy
    Kathy B
  • I will be 6 weeks on the 23rd I am not ready to go back to work, my doctor probably won't release me yet, what seems to be the normal recovery time?? I am getting the buttock pain on the right side
  • I'm not the best person to ask that mufasa, my recovery sucks lol that or I'm very impatient, one of the two. I'm on week 8 and I'm trying to avoid sitting at all cost. That seems to peak the pain in my buttocks. I still lay quite a bit. Only when I have nothing to do ... More so in the evening. I started physio on Friday. He said we need to work on stretching my right leg and I was given excersises for at home. I'm hoping this will help the buttock pain.