Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post ACDF flare up? Update

islandstylistiislandstylist Posts: 307
edited 05/14/2013 - 5:57 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi there everyone,

I am now 10 months post acdf c6/c7 with internal fixation. Everything has been fine and I have really had no issues until now except a stiff neck on occasion.

Then 3 days I ago I woke up in the morning with a painful stiff neck at the base of my neck. Nothing as painful and severe as when I originally herniated it and there is no radiculopathy extending to my fingers this time.

Does this sound like a flare up? If anyone who's had a cervical flare up after acdf could post and tell me what they're like I would appreciate it. Just want to make sure I have not reherniated.

Hugs and I hope you are all well.
Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• charlie6017charlie6017 Posts: 412
    edited 05/10/2013 - 10:47 AM
    Hi Islandstylist!

It can definitely take up to a full year or more for fusions to heal solidly, depending on the person. Has the pain continued for the three days since then, or has it subsided? If the pain has dissipated, maybe it's something as easy as "sleeping wrong on it". I hope you are feeling less pain! :-)

• Good to hear from you again although not so good because you are in pain!

Can you think of anything that you have done that could have caused this flare in your pain?
    I could very well be a flare, perhaps from sleeping in a less than perfect position. I would think the fact that you don't have any radiculopathy is a good sign.
    Have you tried heat or ice?

Let's hope that it is just a flare and that you will soon be back to enjoying your successful surgery. :-)

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 05/10/2013 - 7:34 PM
    hi islandstylist,
    My first thought would be you slept in a way to induce the flare-up like jellyhall posted. Give it some time and hopefullyit is nothing and you will continue moving forward in your recovery.
    take care,
  • Thanks Charlie, Jellyhall and Ranger! It seems to be easing up a bit so I'll give it a couple more days before I press the panic button. Lol! Hope you all have a wonderful day!

• So it's been over a week. And the numbness and tingling has started in my right pointer finger. The pain is getting quite bad....though not as bad as the first herniation.

Anyway, I went to my dr today and was put back on dilaudid. The dr said the spot that I'm showing signs of pain at was where my surgery level was done. C6/C7. She said this is either a flare/arthritis at that level from surgery or another herniation at an adjacent level.

Long story short the dr sent me for an xray to see if that level was fused and said we'd start there. Here's hoping this is just a blip on the radar.