Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wedge pillow for post lumbar surgery?

I'm wondering what types of pillows/wedges to get/use for my lumbar fusion next month? I just bought a new memory foam mattress that is pretty firm which is good, and I have a 12" height wedge pillow that is not very firm. Also wondering what other medical equipment might be helpful? Will insurance cover medical supplies like these?
Thanks for your help!
Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015

• There is a list above called "Post Op must haves". You will find that list amazing!
    Best thing: toilet seat riser and ice packs!
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • I had lumbar fusion 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I don't have a wedge pillow, but I have a large, very dense pillow that I place behind my back and I lean into it, then I have a smaller pillow I put between my knees. When I want to sleep on my back, I use the more dense pills to put under my knees. This system has worked great for me and I have zero issues at night. The only equipment I bought was a "grip and grab" picker upper (great quality, by the way). I ordered it from Amazon and it's a lifesaver. I thought I wanted a walker, but the physical therapist at the hospital laughed at me and said I wouldn't need a walker and she was right. I didn't need any other equipment. Getting up at first is horrible, but it's the best thing and the more you get up to go to the bathroom, etc, the better you feel. Good luck!
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • I like the long body pillows from Wal-mart. They do tend to loose their fluff and I have to replace them about every other year. I've never needed a wedge pillow. Though everyone is different. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery! I'd imagine the location of the fusion might make some difference.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.