Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF L5 S1 PEEK cage

I recently had ALIF on the L5 S1 on march 12th trying to find others that's had this surgery to see recovery time. After a yr dealing with pain and hurting work and other things I like to do I had ALIF surgery. X-rays at 6 wks didnt show anything on fusion I go back in 6 wks for another X-rays. Off all pain meds at wk 6 but I still have pain in that area not like it was. Wk 5 thought there was something loose but X-rays showed things still in place felt good wk 7 just a stiff pain when laying dwn now this Wk having pain when sitting. Will this get better? How long have it took others to fuse. I'm 35 yrs

• Shari514SShari514 Posts: 121
    edited 05/13/2013 - 1:43 PM
    I can't help you, but I'm hoping you can help me. I had an ALIF procedure on L4, L5 plus placement of posterior pedicle screws on April 23. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and I feel like I'm doing great. I've been down to about 4 Percocet 5/325 every day. My husband is out of town and I needed to drive my little girl to her 7:30 softball game so I took my last dose at 9:00 last night. I took some Tylenol this morning and thought I was okay. I had to run a coupe of quick errands and realized I am not ready to be driving, I don't feel "with it". Pain wise I was okay, but started feeling uncomfortable around 3:00 PM. By 6:00 I was rolling around on the couch, moaning and realized I wasn't going to be able to take her. My son came to get her and I was hurting so much I wasn't able to even go watch the game. I had to take 2 Percocet 30 minutes apart and a Soma. Is it too soon for me to try getting off the meds entirely? Last week at my post op, I told the PA I was taking 4 a day and asked if that was okay; she said most people would be taking 2 every 4 hours at 2 weeks out. I can tell I'm improving, I just worry about having a hard time getting off the pills. Tomorrow is my 52nd birthday, I'm much older than you. Good luck to you.
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • Search for the thread March Surgery Buddies...Lots of people with different surgeries, great group. We support each other. Find us and join. You'll be able to see how others are doing.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Hi all. Monday will be 15 weeks post ALIF of L4-L5 for me. I still take one Percocet and Robaxin daily. Usually at night because I have trouble getting comfortable. I wasn't allowed to drive until 8 weeks out and I took it easy. Now, I'm fine. I still get tired easy some days but I've started working out about 2 weeks ago to get my muscles and energy back. I'm doing 30 mins on the elliptical and about 45mins on machine weights but my limit is 15lbs and I can't do any free weights. I've also worked up to swimming too. I go see my dr Tuesday for a check up and then in August for six month check up. From my last X-ray they say I'm fusing fine and should have full recovery. We've just had major surgery and need to keep that in mind. I find the best thing to do is have patience and always listen to your body, it knows what's best.
  • mrscahill. I just want to check and see how u are doing. I felt better wk 4-6 now having back pain
  • How was your 6 month checkup