Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What does it feel like when nerves recover?

I had sever pain, a lot of numbness and loss of muscle control in my right leg after herniating my L5-S1 10mm about 3 weeks ago. I couldn't get off my stomach. About 11 days ago I had a lumbar laminectomy discectomy. The Dr. said the nerve root was swollen and bruised.

I am excited to say I literally walked out the day of surgery and was able to take a few short walks that afternoon.
Since, I've been walking 4-5 times per day with little to no pain. Walks get better too, and I think I see daily improvement. My only pain is really at the location of the procedure.

I still have numbness and weakness in calve/foot. The muscles are greatly improved post-surgery, but not recovered by any measure.

I think it is getting better, but maybe just used to it? Recently I began getting odd sensations in my leg. Could this be what it feels like as the nerve slowly recovers? It is a sensation that is hard to explain. Almost like it is excited to move, tingle, a tickle and sore muscle rolled into one.

I'm curious if others have gotten interesting sensations in their legs during the recovery process.

L5-S1 herniation (10mm), April 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy May 1st 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy April 18th 2016

• Well I've had some nerve damage with all of my surgeries. Nerves heal so slow I'm not positive you can "feel" that. Though I will say the nerve pain did cause the "muscle cramp" feelings and I did have tingling. so who knows? Keep your doctor in formed and hopefully what you feel is your healing.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.