Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So my fusion is less than a month away now and my surgeon is asking me to have a CT scan done which I'm doing this week and he also wants me to have an EMG done. I'm going on vacation in a week and half and so had to schedule the EMG for only a week prior to surgery. He says he won't do the surgery without this test. Has anyone had an EMG done for leg pain and numbness that comes from lumbar DDD? Is it painful? Can anyone tell me more about their experiences with this test?
Thanks spineys!
Severe DDD in S1-T12. 5 disc herniations. 5 compression fractures. Had a 2 level lumbar fusion/decompression on June 12, 2013. L4-5 foraminotomy on Jan 8, 2014, Right SI fusion in Oct 2014. Scheduled for L4-5 fusion to existing fusion on Sept 28, 2015

• charlie6017charlie6017 Posts: 412
    edited 05/13/2013 - 3:55 PM

EMGs aren't terribly painful, but they can be uncomfortable. I haven't had this done on the legs, but have had them on arms and hands due to recent and progressing neck pain. The doctor performing this uses low-voltage currents in this test and it causes small movements.

All in all, it's not a tremendously long test and somewhat uncomfortable.

Good luck!