Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bridge over Troubled Water

I have been with Spine-Health since 2006.. It was 2008 when Spine-Health first migrated to the new CMS system DRUPAL. During that period of time, both as a member and as their moderator, I have seen many different situations. Some heart-warming, some-good and those not-so-good.
Right now, I am more troubled by the recent set of members, the posts and arguments that have resulted. When you have site with over 20,000 International Members, there are bound to be situations when people disagree. That is normal and we have all taken that in stride.
Today, there seems to be ‘trouble’ in terms of the treatment of younger members. We have had countless number of posts and messages telling us that Spine-Health is doing an injustice to its younger members and that we take sides with our long term members.
This does sadden me, because we have always been a site and a set of members that welcome everyone, regardless of age. So often we have posted that spinal problems and pain never discriminate when it comes to age. In fact that is one of the reasons we are open to registered members off all ages.
I can not tell you how many younger folks that we have helped here. And that is not just from our view point, but from those that are young and hurting.
The past several years, there has been tougher regulations regarding pain medications. 6 years ago, the dosage and doctor prescribing those medications was hardly touched upon. There is no difference in the pain levels people had back then to where they are today. Why is that? One thing that is certain, there is so much more comments from members telling others that doctors are not doing their job and are not prescribing pain medications that the patient wants.
Personally, I have had many rough and tough years since 1978. I have been on some relatively high dosages of narcotics. I am fortunate that between my doctors, therapists and my hard work, that those dosages have come down to a maintenance level. Prescriptions have never been a problem. So why does it seem that there is such a problem today?
Doctor shopping, pharmacy hopping, Internet illegal purchases have all made this so difficult.
But that does not mean it’s the young that are doing that, so often it’s the long term patient that is trying to go around the system.
I feel for younger folks. They do have things harder when it comes to doctor evaluations and prescription of medications. But on the other hand, the younger folks have so much more to look forward to. When you are young, you can bounce back from problems much easier than when you are older. Recovery from spinal surgery is much better when you are young. From a medical point of view, our younger members are in a better place than our older members. BUT, emotionally, it’s a different situation. When you are young and faced with spinal problems, the one thing that is always on your mind, “Do I have to live this way forever”, “My life as I knew it is over” I cant argue with those feelings, but can only say that over time, with your HARD work, nothing is over.

All of this Young vs Old has caused a split in how people are using Spine-Health. This site is not setup to be a soapbox for anyone to preach about the woes of their lives. Instead, it has always been a site to help all members. That’s where I find it ironic. Today, many accuse us of not listening to the younger folks, not caring about them…. Think for a second. We have been here a long time and have helped so many people…. So why now are things different? They are not.
I don’t expect everyone to get along.. That would be unreasonable. But I do expect people to treat other people with respect. That is one of our forum rules. Just in the past several days, I have read so many posts that are violations and that they would call for banning. I am not turning away from them, I am not looking blind to them, I am just trying to allow people to work things out amongst one another.
I could easily go in and ‘FIX’ those problem areas and people. Cause YES, there are a few that seem to want to cause the problem. That’s easy to see. Just take a look at some of the recent posts. I need not say any more.
We could rule with an iron fist here, making sure that everyone adheres to the rules. I don’t want to see that happen, the owners of this private site don’t want to see that happen. We are sensitive and flexible when it comes to what is being posted. Don’t create the situation in which we need to come down with force.
I am no asking for everyone to get along. That would be unreasonable. But what I am insisting upon is for everyone to respect the other persons views. Just because they don’t see things your way, doesn’t mean they are wrong.
I LOVE Spine-Health. I eat and breathe Spine-Health. It provided me a lifeline when I needed it the most. I only want to continue to thrown that lifeline to EVERYONE that needs it.

Thank you

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron:

I read your post hoping for some statement about Simon & Garfunkle. Us older ones on this forum still keep one foot in the 60's. Was it the Beatles that sang..."give peace a chance...? Maybe I'm confused about..."one toke over the line sweet Jesus, one toke over the line; sitting downtown in the railway station one toke over the line..."

Regardless - spinal issues do not discriminate. Young and old, we all suffer from the same ailment. It's just that some of us are afflicted early in life and some later; and some of us sustain this affliction for decades while others for a lessor amount of time. Regardless, collectively I suspect that all of us would give anything to experience relief.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I hear what you are saying Ron and I agree you and the moderators have let a lot slide lately and let the members settle it out themselves. In fact, when it's gotten so ugly I was surprised you just didn't shut it all down as I said in a post last night.
    Sometimes when messages are posted, they don't sound the way some may want to portray their thoughts as, someone takes it out of context, and the battle begins. Lines are drawn in the sand, someone is having a not so good day due to whatever, and the war wages on.
    My feeling is and always has been from a business, community, and social standpoint, the younger generation is the future.
    I was very lucky at a young age, growing up with a lot of opportunity. I want to be able to share that and do what I can to help other people maybe not make the mistakes I did and learn from my experience.
    Last night was as bad as I've ever seen it, it gave me a real bad feeling and I realized I can't help fix it so just walk away.
    I was thinking maybe the member data below the user names should be eliminated such as the date joined and number of posts. Maybe that intimidates some? Just a thought, maybe I'm all wrong there too.
    Anyway, I have really gotten to chat with a lot of fine people here, shared a lot of good information that has truly helped educate me and made me a better person. The only thing I would ever want in return is the ability to reach out and help another person find solutions to better health.
    Ron, not sure what you think about me but I support what you do. Others please remember these moderators have no easy task at hand, we have to try and get along as adults that we are so we don't have to be reprimanded.
    Hope this all works out,
  • Kiki48KKiki48 Posts: 196
    edited 05/14/2013 - 8:26 AM
    I have a couple questions. What do you consider "Woes in someone's life" that you do not want discussed here? I agree it's obvious where most of the aggravation is coming from but I got a feeling you and I would disagree on that one. Also, I think that it is really truly happening that the DEA is coming down harder on the doctors. So doctors are restricting more pain medication to people who need it. The way the laws are set up the doctors have to abide by them. BUT that does not help people in pain trying so hard to have some quality of life. The way it's going it's only going to become harder for people in pain to have a life with pain management from the meds they need. Therefore it's going to be discussed here. This site has helped me because others share there bad experiences with doctors. I am not alone in it and that has helped me each day since I've been on this site. It's tough on the young because they are young and it's tough on the old because they are old. It's tough peroid no matter what degree of pain you are in. In a way I'm getting scared what I can post and what I can't. I know we are not all going to agree. I know it can get out of control but mostly I've seen helpful people on here. To me the help this brings far weighs out the people who start the problems. They are few. So many here truly help and even the ones that start the problems can be truly helpful when they reign themselves in.