Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back pain in the morning

Good morning, I have had 4 low back surgeries since I was in my 30's now in my 50's,in the last year I have had problems in the mornings with pain it takes 3-4 hrs just to get mobile by noon I'm exhasted from trying to control pain I'm on meds but I don't work so I would rather not use them as how they make me feel,I have a question does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to control/handle the pain? Also have a nerostimulation implant that helps a bit but not as much as we hoped
Thanks for reading Pat

• Sorry to hear of your morning pain.
    I too have issues in the morning, but by adjusting my scs I am able to get up and slowly begin my day. How long have you had your implant and do you play with the settings? I use my stimulator 24/7 and am constantly making adjustments throughout the day. Sometimes I wake up in the morning with my controller in my hand because I adjusted my scs in my sleep.
    Good luck and let me know if things get better.

• How long have you had your stimulator? What is wrong with it? I am curious, I was struggling a little with mine and asked to see a different medtronic representative, that made all the difference.
  • Hi
    Ive had mine for a year now I find it helps minimal it just takes my mind off the pain but thats all still use it once in awhile but find myself being very careful as I can shock myself
  • lbfrndflllbfrndfl Posts: 38
    edited 05/15/2013 - 9:24 AM
    It may be to your benefit to get with your scs rep. and go over all of your units settings.
  • Hi,just a quick note contacted the rep and was told I may be one of the people this wont help I knew it was a 50/50 chance I was hoping for the positive but not to be
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 09/01/2013 - 6:39 PM
    Didn't you have a trial period where they used temporary leads and a temporary scs unit to see if it was going to relieve your pain levels before they implanted the permanent one?
    The representative from the company should have offered to meet with you to see about changing the stimulation pattern to make sure that you are getting better pain relief than you are getting. Since it seems that they didn't, contact them again and tell them that they need to meet you to adjust the patterns/programs of your stimulator.
    As far as not wanting to take medications regularly, I understand that, but by not taking them, you are only making the situation worse for yourself. If you took them on a regular basis, and before you got up, you might find that your pain levels are much better controlled, and it wouldn't take hours to be able to move around.
    Do you see a pain management doctor who can go over the safe/correct use of pain medications with you and can advocate for you with the stimulator company?
  • Hi unfortunatly Im in canada and a small city and we dont have pain mgt doctors just general practioners,we have tried all the variations of the stimulator so life goes on
This discussion has been closed.