Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thought I'd introduce Myself :)

Hi my name is Bobbie, I wanted to introduce myself. Give some background get some input. I'm 57 yrs old and in the 4th month of recovery from fusion for scoliosis with 28 screws and 2 rods. This has been quite a surprise, although I wore the old Milwaukee brace for 2.5 years as a young teen . Everything went fine till I was in my 30's and had a laminectomy,discectomy and then fusion of L5S1 back then they had me on total bed rest for 6 months. Since that time I've been on narcodics for pain.Saw an orthopedic surgeon on my 40's who said there was nothing to be done for me, the curve was in the mid 40's then.Years go by,I was officially disabled in 2007, then the POW, bad thoractic pain, back to the same ortho who was almost....excited that my curves had changed to 68 and 62. Off to a scoliosis surgeon and we monitor it, well the curves were changing several degrees every 3 months, so I give up at 78 and 68 degrees and schedule surgery t4 to sacrum fusion In short I thought I would be gone for 3 wks, it was 3months. Corrected my curve into the 30's! And grew 3 inches,but haven't been able to lift my right leg since surgery, my knee. Is numb and hurts with a tendency to fold on me. There are a few other numb areas. At this point I just need some expericed folks to help with understanding the recovery. Thanks in advance to u all!

• Wow- you've been through a lot lately but even through your entire life. Welcome to the forums- I've only had one surgery so far (and hope that is all that I do need) but I know there are others that have been through similar situations like the ones you're facing and may be able to offer some additional feedback. I am 25 and praying that this TLIF was what I needed to get me back on my feet and to a sense of normalcy. I can only hope for the same for you! :) I've found these forums to be what has got me through most of the trials that I've experienced and am so glad that you're here- we have some GREAT members! :)
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • My situation is a little different... but a lot of the same. I'm sorry to hear about your leg. Don't give up hope on that leg though. Last summer when I had a major revision of my spine I had to be treated as a "spinal chord injury" due to the damage the surgery caused on nerves. I developed complete foot drop. It took a few months of PT, but I'm walking just fine... the gabapentin plus the PT made all the difference. I also had some other numb areas, mostly on the thighs and those have improved as well. Best of luck to you! These type of fusions aren't for the faint of heart. Keep us updated on your progress!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.