Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1 C2 neck fusion

Neurologist wants to do a C1 C2 neck fusion and will go through the mouth and not the neck becauseof a rheumatoid tissue that has to be removed. . It is called a "transoral" approach. A feeding tube will have to go in the belly when they do surgery through the mouth.

Has anyone had a C1 C2 neck fusion and, if so, how was the recovery?

Any information about these topics would be SO very greatfully apprecoated. Thanks.

• Hi Havana, I have issues with my c-1 and c-2 too. I have looked for information on c-1 and c-2 fusion and found very little. I've also looked on this site for it too. You may want to do that. I might have missed something that could be good information for you. I hope that someone who has had the surgery comes along shortly and sees your post. Have you decided yet if you will have the surgery?

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 05/15/2013 - 2:26 AM
    Welcome to Spine Health.

Fusion of C1/2 is not common, but there have been members in the past who have had this surgery.
    I hope that someone will be along soon to share their experience with you.
    You have posted a very clear title to your thread to draw attention to it from those that have had this surgery.
    I hope you don't have to wait too long.

I have found other threads that have some information about surgery on this level. I hope it is helpful :-)

You can search this site by using the search box at the top of the page.

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    Here's the thread that explains what I went trough. I can tell you that the recovery was long but I can't say that I suffered that much. I'm 16 months out and things are looking good. Some days are better than others but overall I feel much better now than I felt before. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help in any way.

• I had c1/c2 neck fusion when I was 15 years old, I am now 22. Recovery process was tough, and was in a hard collar neckbrace for a good 8 months, after about a year and a half I felt "normal" again. It's a very tough surgery, and they actually took a bone graft from my pelvis to fuse my neck (most painful part). Here I am going on 7 years later, and for the most part live a normal life...I'm very athletic so I have to be careful doing some things, but overall I live my life. My surgeon told me to be prepared to lose a lot of motion up and down & side to side, but throughout the years I've gained most of it back. The biggest thing that reminds me I've had major neck surgery are the dead nerves on the back of my head from actual surgery, and rainy days when my neck gets stiff.
    H sheets
  • Kiki48KKiki48 Posts: 196
    edited 05/21/2013 - 6:06 AM
    Hi Hsheets, Thank you so much for sharing your c-1 and c-2 surgery with us!!! It's tough to find anything on it from folks who have been through it. I'm soo very glad that you are living mostly a normol life! They went through the back of your neck it sounds like? I've read a post where someone had neck surgery once through the back of the neck and the other time through their front of the neck. They said the front was much easier on them post surgery. I can see with the c-1 and c=2 where goning through the front of the neck would not really be an option. I think you'd have to go in than up. Where as through the mouth you can go straight I think. I'd have to look at the spine pictures again. Anyway, theirs was not the c-1 and c-2 fusion I wonder if through the mouth would be easier for the C-1 and c-2. If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd like to hear them!
  • charlie6017charlie6017 Posts: 412
    edited 05/21/2013 - 6:15 AM
    Hi HSheets,

Welcome to spine health! Good to know that you have recovered pretty well from a huge surgery. :-)

I am also curious to know if the surgery done via the posterior side? Glad to know you have regained much of your range-of-motion. Be careful and safe!