Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

embarrassing question

I had ALIF L5-S1 a month ago and today I lost control of my bladder. It has only happened the one time. Is this something I need to be real concerned with? Has this happened to anyone else? Do I need to call the doctor right away?

• karenikkareni Posts: 58
    edited 05/15/2013 - 2:03 PM
    Well I decided to call the surgeon's office and the PA told me that because it is just now happening 4 weeks after surgery then it's not surgery related and if it continues then contact my GP.
    Not sure how I feel about this.
  • My surgeon told me if I have any bladder or bowl problems to call him right away. I had AlifL4L5S1 surgery.
    Kathy B
  • Hi Kathy I called them and they said that it isn't related to the surgery if it continues to see my GP. I really think it would be a nerve issue since I've been having nerve pain. I'm not saying it's an error the surgeon made because that would've happened right away. However isn't it still a neurological problem? Maybe I'm overreacting.
  • I'd see your GP and probably get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Wow.........I'm shocked that the surgeon's office is "passing the buck" a mere 4 weeks afterward.

Well, I would see your GP and get another surgeon's opinion, as KarenD said. If it were me, I would be having thoughts of dumping the current surgeon as well. To me, that's an awfully flippant attitude........just my thoughts.

Good luck, please keep us updated! :-)

• I agree with Charlie.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    Any time there is a problem with bladder control, a call to your doctor is very important.
    I hope by now you ave contacted your doctor and they are putting an action plan for you, at least to see you.
    Take care
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • If you never had bladder problems before surgery. then I would say its from the surgery!!!Def see gp anyways and see what they think.I would see someone right away. Keep us posted good luck kathy
    Kathy B
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi karen,
    I'm with the others here, don't panic but I'd get another two three opinions about that from your Dr's. Losing control of either bladder or bowel is a serious issue that needs to at least be checked out. Not saying it's a result from the surgery but maybe it is something new.
    Hope it all works out for you,
  • I'm going to call the NS office again, yesterday I spoke to the PA cause it was after hours and I would really like to speak to the surgeon. If I can't get anywhere then I'll go to my GP.
  • karenikkareni Posts: 58
    edited 05/16/2013 - 4:50 AM
    Well I spoke to the NS's nurse who I know very well and trust we talked about how my nerve pain was getting worse which can mean inflammation of the nerve and then she asked me if I may have over did it yesterday. When I told her I walked about 40 min straight she said that I definitely over did it which can cause that kind of problem if my nerves are already inflammed. She said that if it happens again to come straight to the office if it's during the day or the hospital after hours.I'm also upping my dose of Neurontin. So relieved!!! How come the nurses almost always know more than the PA's or is it just me?