Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Read: Almost 4 Weeks Post ACDF - Dizzyness and passing out??

I had C5/6 & C6/7 ACDF on 4/22. My one month checkup with my surgeon is next week on 5/22.

I've been experiencing a lot of dizziness and even passed out once a couple of weeks ago. I was out for less than a minute, but was definitely out. Fortunately my hubby had a hold of me and I didn't go striaght down, I went to the floor with him supporting me.

The dizzyness wasn't as severe the first week because I had thrush which kept me in pain and in bed quite a lot. After that, I managed to get a stomach virus that has been going around here. Actually think my hubby brought it home to me from work. That virus really hit me hard, but went from my head to stomach to intestines and has seemed to clear out in about 3 days.

I think I'm well over the virus issue, but the dizziness just is not going away, so I don't think it has anything to due with the virus.
In the meantime, I continue to regularly experience a lot of extreme dizziness and came very close to passing out a several more times.

The dizziness isn't as severe as the first time when I passed, but it is pretty persistant and I make sure I sit down as soon as it starts again. I seem to be sitting down a lot. I'm wondering if the dizziness is somehow related to the surgery or the medications. Monday is my 4th week and I see my surgeon on the 22nd with is my 1 month check-up. Hope fusion has started.

Anyway, any one else have experience with dizzyness post ACDF? Did it resolve itself? What did you do for it?

Wondering what I should ask the doctor next week. I'm very cautious whenever no one is home with me, as I am afraid I will pass out and damage my neck. Something is certainly going on! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• I am scheduled for C-3-C-7 ACDF, and I really am nervous about it really don't like the fact of someone cutting on my neck!!

• Welcome to Spine Health!
    This is a great place to get information about your condition and the various possible treatments for it.
    Also, here on the forum, you can meet and talk to others who have been through or who are going through very similar problems. It is so supportive to hear from those who understand.

What date is your surgery going to be?
    I suggest that you take a look at the thread on useful items for after surgery which is at the top of the Back and Neck Surgery section. If you can't find it, let me know and I will post a link to it for you. Don't be over whelmed by the long list. It is meant for those facing lumbar and well as cervical surgery.

I had a C3/4/5 ACDF done 6 months ago, so do ask any questions that you may have. There are several members who have had the same levels as you fused. Please bear in mind that the many people who have had a very successful surgery are no longer posting here because they are back living their busy lives.

Most members here who have had spinal surgery understand the nervousness that we feel before surgery.

• Have you contacted your surgeon to discuss this problem with dizziness that you are having? If you have not, I strongly suggest that you do. Dizziness is not a normal happening as far as I know post op and the fact that it is ongoing is of concern. You really need to discuss this with your doctor, as soon as possible.

• I don't know what happened, but somehow I didn't reply to your post at the top of this thread. I am sorry.

I agree with Sandi that this dizziness you are experiencing doesn't sound usual at all.
    Please do speak to your doctor about it to try to find out what is causing it.

Good luck at your 4 week check up with your surgeon on 22nd. :-)
  • i have been through a lot of basic narcotics prescribed for pain. side effects from most of them. i can tell you that when they gave me percocet, the room started spinning. massively spinning. i don't take it at all anymore because of the dizziness.

now keep in mine, i tend to suffer from dizziness to begin with. i've been through tons of testing for it over the years. one of my biggest triggers is nutrasweet, so sugar free things like soda do a job on me. a glass of diet coke will have the room spinning for 2 solid weeks.

that being said, morphine, and dilaudid in the hospital sent the room spinning and the nausea kicked up so bad, i now get at least 3 different ant nausea drugs before i'm even knocked out for surgery including one that is typically used for chemotherapy patients.

if nothing else i'd check the side effects for any meds you might be on, and see if dizziness can be a side effect of one of them. i've had to stop more medications that i can count because of the side effects. it's actually quite restrictive.

hope you feel better soon.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012