Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica pain

cgjokerccgjoker Posts: 2
Hi there.

First off, just curious, do licensed doctors respond to inquiries on this blog?

This is my first time having Sciatica. This type of pain is so intense, nothing like I experienced before.

It started immediately after a hockey game and hasn't let up, 5 weeks later.

I have been all over the internet, seen 4 different physiotherapists and 2 doctors. I have done massages, accupunture, electric shock therapy, stretches and light exercises. I really have no idea if I am getting better. I think I am.

I have a few questions that I cannot seem to get answers for - probably because it is hard to answer as the healing for sciatica differs between cases.

1. When my sciatica first started I had super intense pain under the heel of my foot, along with 'pins and needles' and numbness under my foot to my toes. The pain was also on my shin, like a severe shin splint. It was so bad I could hardly walk. No loss of bladder functions though or anything like that. I have definetly gotten better since but the type of pain I am experiencing at week 5 is extreme pain around the calf, intense pain behind the knee cap and some pain under the thigh. Sometimes there is even pain under the foot still. I get shooting pains down my entire leg if I twist or move awkwardly.

My question is, am I getting better? Is this normal? Does it normally take 5 weeks before these symptoms happen and if the pain is now only at my knee and still in the calf and foot, how much longer do I have before I am healed? I can walk for about 50 steps, stand for about 5 minutes before I find the pain so intolerable that I have to sit so the pain can pass.

2. I have been doing stretches as prescribed by my physio therapist. I doubt I am doing them right because in all honesty, any stretch hurts alot. If I am unable to do stretches properly due to pain, should I still be doing them? Is something better than nothing? They certainly DO NOT give me pain relief which is, from what I have read, the intention of them. They actually hurt more than give comfort.

3. I have tried Robaxazec, Aleve, Advil... nothing seems to really help with the pain. I know Ibuprophen is the way to go because it helps with inflamation, but based on experience, what is the best over the counter medicine for pain and inflamation for Sciatica?

• I hurt my back 8 weeks ago in gym on one of the machine with 45kg on it weight went on lower back and between the shoulders a few times my mistake there was no sudden pain but pain kept getting bad threw the day and night the next pain got that bad I had to lay down for the day it was really bad for about 7 days on and off with bad shooting pain up a long spine the pain has not gone away but die down a bit for me to walk around and that but still cant lift any thing heavy our run our move to quick with out feeling back is going go again in the last two weeks I have strated to get numbness in both arms and hands and in the back of my knees and weakness in both areas I have been to doctors give me painkillers and muscle relaxers have had xray no broken bones doc in hop said I could have trap nevre in neck and lower back and could have bugle disc in both areas but didn't get mri yet how long can this last for I hear bodyweight wourkouts like L holds can heal lower back and stop injury happen again and same with pull ups for in between shoulders but is it safe to train when the Sciatica numbness is stll there arms not so bad now left leg gets it the worst
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 05/26/2013 - 7:59 AM
    No doctors to answer questions on the forum, this forum gives support and experiences from other members who are able to relate

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam, liz jellyhall or sandi

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • runnerbeanrrunnerbean Posts: 1
    edited 05/27/2013 - 8:36 AM
    I had a bulging disc at L4 - L5 and did all conservative treatments before i decided to have a discectomy in February this year.

Your pain sounds similiar to what i had and I did do everything the pain consultant advised me to do... Physio, Steroid injection, accupunture, TENS machine, pain killers, chiropractor... you name it i did it...

But after this making no difference to my pain i decided to do the op. It was the best decision i made. I'm 3 months into my recovery and its not been plain sailing by all means.

After the op I stupidly thought that I would be pain free but this was not the case even if the leg pain went down from a level 9/10 to a level 6.

At 2.5 months i was getting disheartened that i would always have the residual pain and i went to see another pain consultant who was recommended to me by my surgeon.

She did an epidural injection last week and its made a massive difference. My pain is now down to a level 1/2. I even managed to do a short jog to test out my legs.

I used to run marathons and its been 8 months that I can't run. I've been keeping my fitness level by doing low impact exercises and I've now started to do Pilates.

In my opinion, if you don't get relief doing the conservative treatments i would do the op. People around me were like its so extreme but believe me you alone know how much pain you are in.

I had some pretty dark moments when i thought i didn't want to be alive anymore and to me doing the op was a chance of being able to have my life back. I had less than a week in between agreeing to the procedure and doing it. I was nervous but it never occurred to me to pull out. I needed to do it. I'm not one to sit around and wait and it was ruining my life.

Sitting down was torture and walking was painful.

I would do the op again in a heart beat. I was in real agony after the op. Never had so much back pain. Felt like my back was being ripped open when i moved but it was only for the first few weeks.

My back was sore for a couple of months but its been 3 months now and i can finally put my trousers on without having to lift my leg with my hand. I can bend over properly albeit a bit of stiffness...

A colleague of mine had a slipped disc like me but didn't have any leg pain but only back pain and had the steroid injection and is now recovered. She did a 190k bike ride at the weekend and she did the injection in Feb.

I did the op in Feb and there is no way i could do a 190k bike ride. I'm still "fragile" but i'm finally starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. My pain was dehabilitating and was getting progressively worse.

My opinion is that if the pain is not that severe by all means try the conservative stuff but if its ruining your daily life then the op is your chance of remedying the situation unless you want to wait it out for months or even years to get better...
  • Hey whatsstory, sorry to hear about your injury. Mine was a result of hockey, similar but slightly different. I don't have experience with sciatica relative to neck injuries, but what I can tell you is that I have a cousin who went through something similar to your incident and you need to get that CT or MRI exam, no question. Sounds like any pinched nerve story though, it will heal in time. One piece of advice that I have learned throughout my ordeal, DO NOT STRETCH IF IT HURTS. It only makes things worst. I followed my doctors, physiotherepists (3 differenet ones) and I did some stretching and it hurt like hell. Even very light stretching hurt, and no, its not that I was doing them wrong. It was just that the pinched nerve injury was that severe. I actually had a severe muscle spasm last week that hurt so much I actually went into shock and nearly passed out. Called the ambulance and went to emergency. The doctor prescried some painkillers - Elavil, which really helped but I was bed ridden for 2 days after that incident. Better now, and getting better each day.

Im going to post another post on this site to talk about my experience with this painful ailment. Hopefully someone like me will read it, someone who found no real answers on the internet or from the doctors and physiotherapists.