Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice on multiple levels

Hi Everyone----so happy to have found you.
Here's a brief summary of my past that has led me to the here and now (which isn't so terrific). In 1984 I had a car accident and the windshield won-----I fractured C-2 and wore a halo for 2 1/2 months. The next 15 years were manageable. These last (almost) 15 years---not so much. It's only been within the last year that I finally succumbed to pain pills (Nucynta 150). Sure wish I would have done that years ago. The pills are semi-working, but I knew I needed to find a good Dr for the furture, when they quit working.

In April, I had MRI's taken of my C & T Spine. The Dr. says I'm past the point of having injections and surgery is necessary on C6-C7. I'm going to list all that is wrong and will ya'll please give me your thoughts??? If I do have to have surgery, I would rather them open me up ONE time and take care of everything that needs to be fixed, rather than just fix the one and have to go back in later and still be in pain anyway. I know I'm acting goofey, but I know that ya'll know that the pain is unlike any other and I totally understand and identifiy with ya'll who say you can't take it anymore---I'm there. I try to "act" strong and hate that it's affecting my quality of life and am finally to the point where I so want the relief.

MRI results:
C3-C4 Small disc protrusion/osteophyte--Moderate bilater facet arthrosis and mild left foraminal narrowing.
C4-C5 Mild bilateral UV arthrosis...moderate bilateral facet arthrosis.
C5-C6 Moderate right & mild left UV arthrosis. Moderate left facet arthrosis;;;mild right foraminal narrowing.
C6-C7 Moderate circumerential disc bulge & moderate to severe bilateral UV arthrosis & osteophyte formation.
Moderate to severe bilateral foraminal narrowing....mild spinal stenosis is seen.
C7-T1 Moderate left foraminal stenosis lumpy due to left facet arthropathy.
T1-T2 Small disc bulges
T2-T3 " "
T5-T6 " "
T7-T8 Broad-based right paracentral 3 mm disc protrusion partially effacing the right lateral recess & indenting
the right lateral surface of the anterior thecal sac.
T8-T9 Small disc bulge
T9-T10 Small diffuse disc bulge, moderate bilateral facet hypertrophic changes & ligamentum flavum thickening
resuld in mild spinal stenosis (AP dimension of the canal is 9mm).

Sorry it's so lengthy, but I need help in understanding what the he** all this means! The Dr said I just need surgery on C6-C7 and just have arthritis in the rest. Why doesn't it just say that then??? This all looks really scary to me and truthfully, really makes me not look forward to my future. I'm 55 right now with all this and can't even imagine how bad it might be come 70....if I make it that long. :)

I told myself that come Monday, I'm getting back into Yoga (if I can), riding my bike (if I can), but definitely, changing my attitude. I've been in my "feel sorry for myself" since I got these results back and am tired ot that!!! But I am very terrified and would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to all your comments----good and bad. I deal better with the truth---even if I don't like what I hear!!

• Honestly, that is a SMALL report. I'm sorry the terms are so scary for you. If you were to choose one of your friends that has no spinal issues (to their knowledge) and had them complete a MRI, you'd probably find their results similar to yours minus the C6-C7. At your next visit you should voice your concerns about what you read on the report. This will give your surgeon a chance to explain what is normal or "to be expected" in someone your age. Together you might decide to correct an additional level, but every disc that has a comment on your report doesn't need to be fixed, so don't think of it like that. Most surgeons don't bother with the radiologist report too much (and why should they? they are the spine EXPERTS not the radiologist). I'm very sorry about your accident, and that you have been in pain for so long. I'm glad you decided to seek pain relief. I'd advice anyone considering surgery to get a second opinion. I wouldn't have surgery until I found a doctor I felt like I trusted. I hope you are able to get the right treatment and relief from your pain soon. Keep us updated. Hopefully lots of others will see your post and be able to respond as well.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Thanks for giving me some comfort and I think I will go to another Dr----at least for his opinion. This is my 3rd over the past 10 years, but never stuck with the others ones either. I've been told that even though they may not be the best with the "bedside manner" part----they are very intelligent and good at what they do. This Dr did spend more than 5 minutes with me. I have an EMG scheduled for the 28th of this month. I'll keep ya'll updated----it's good to know that there are other people who really do know what I'm going through....thank for the support and good luck to you too!
  • Hi Amy, AllMetal made really good points. I have nothing else to add except Welcome and I hope you will keep us updated.

• Thanks for the warm welcome......I really am so glad ya'll are here---or there---or wherever you are! LOL I've been in such a funk lately and that's really not me. Gonna get off my butt and attempt Yoga with my daughter tomorrow....clean this messy house (my husband will never be a maid for a living) and just try to get back to being happy----I'm not dead yet! LOL
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 05/19/2013 - 6:52 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

As Allmetal said, just because you see things listed at several levels, doesn't automatically mean that surgery is warranted or necessary at all of those levels. Your surgeon should go over both the report, and your concerns or questions. If they don't do that, it might be time to seek out another opinion. You want a surgeon who talks to you, answers your questions and listens to your concerns.