Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Th Possible Surgery

lettucellettuce Posts: 3
edited 05/19/2013 - 6:17 PM in New Member Introductions
September 2012 i sought medical help with an Orthopedic Surgeon for the following symptons.
Severe aching pain across the top of my buttocks with shqrp jabbing pain on the left side which woul radiate down and around both hips to the point I could walk and Severe Pressure, like the top part of my body was being shoved in to my * buttocks* (edit for language).
I couldnnot sit, stand...after examination my doctor said that he knew what it was (my SI Joint) and he sent me for a MRI.
when we met to go over the MRI, he saw a slight herniated L2 disc and said nothing more about the SI Joint I went through Injections and my symptons only got worse; and I was told that only a Discectomy would fix the problem.
Surgery was Nov. 3rd,2012 and I was told that everything went perfectly.
2 weeks out, then again 3 weeks out and then finally 4 weeks out, I had been calling my doctor because the pain was so bad andngetting worse, something felt wrong but i kept being told that thisnwas normal recovery. Finally i would not take that as an answer, I knew something was wrong! My doctor then agreed to send me to have a Mylogram, then immediately called me to come in because there was a problem.

Well, i had already made a 2nd opinion appointment with another doctor the day before because I wasnso leary ofnthe surgeon that did mine....but i went ahead and went to the appoinment of the 1st surgeon; and it was like tornado in andnout , henknew what was wrong and would go back in and fiX? He literally hae my arm walking menover to scheduling.
I went not to schedule hut to get my opportative report and once i had that in hand I drove over to my New doctor's appoinment.

The New surgeon had already viewed my films from the original prior to diagnosis.
The words out of his mouth were "he removed your Facet Joint " and " your disc have now collapsed onto each other. Heshould have removed it; and he should have told you and put it in his Operative Report".
I ended up having to have this doctor go back in and correct the damage the 1st doctor did which meant building ancage around my spine andnfusing. This took place January 23,2013.

Unfortunately 1.5 weeks after this surgery my doctor had to cut me back open because one of the Spacers had come out, so i basically had a redo of what was just done. ONLY this time it took 7 hours to wake me up and I was in intensive care fir three days because my body had not enough time to remake my blood and they could not get my blood pressure up.
Ok so I am in recovery for a 3rd time and although I can tell 4 weeks out that all of that is healing and good but something else was wrong...
After meeting with my doctor for a 4th time and explaining to him that what I am feeling and agonizing over now, are the exact symptons that I originally sought out the Original doctor for. My doctor nownwas not privey to those symptons because he only entered the situation in an emergency to correct what the other doctor caused.
After giving all medical history, my doctor sent and had a Lower Lumbar and a Pelvic MRI.
He then sent me to a Pain Management Associate to have SI, L5, S1and L4 injections done each.at a seperate time, in order to Pin Point my pain. My doctors thoughts are that I was misdiagnosed originally and my Real problem is I have many severe Fissures in my L5 S1 and L4 which have gotten alot worse over this time.
I meet with my doctor this Tuesday to discuss but it appears that I have had to have 3 uneccassary surgies all because the first doctor messed up; and now I will more than likely have to have a 4th surgery, which scare the hell out of menseeing that I almost died after the 3rd one. That will make 4 surgeries within a 6 month period.
I am so depressed and my physical pain has been so much and still is that I am on 100 mg Nucynta once I get home from work, which even then, my pain is so intense that even with the Nucynta, it takes into the wee hoursnof the night before it calms down. I have not slept more than 2-3 hours a night maybe. For over 7 months I gomto office and.come home qnd cry in despair, my life feels.as though it is over. I brought a twin set of mattresses up to my office so I could lay down every 10 minutes or so... hws anyone out there had a sucdessful fusion of L5 and L4, i need words of incouragement.

Lisa Corzine

• I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Hi Lettuce,
    I'm sorry for what you are experiencing right now. The first thing that I would do is contact the hospital where you had your first surgery, and get copies of all of your medical records, including the surgical reports, lab work, nurses notes, etc. What was the diagnosis before your first surgery? Did you get a second opinion prior to the first surgery? Was this surgeon a board certified ortho spine surgeon?
    It seems to me that while the second surgeon is trying to help, before going through yet another surgery, I would certainly get a second, third and fourth opinion from as many surgeons as you can before undergoing another surgery. In fact, I always tell patients prior to undergoing surgery, it is wise to at least get a consult with two other board certified ortho and neuro spine surgeons , it allows you to see if they are in basic agreement of what the cause of the problem is, and what the suggested options are in regard to how to fix it......
  • I am very sorry all of this has happened to you. So many of us have had to face multiple spinal surgeries for various reasons. After reading your story it is easy to understand your frustration. You mention 3 days in the ICU because you didn't make blood fast enough to recover... are you in the USA? What about banking your own blood prior to surgery? I have done this in the past. If nothing else, perhaps you will feel more prepared. Best of luck to you.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Yes the 2nd surgeon did help and correct the problem the other caused and yea I have all Operative report from the 1st surgeon that has no mention of removing any Facet Joint.
    Saw a 4th Surgeon yesterday and he is starting from Very first MRI and going through every single one after the 1st surgery, to evaluate and really diagnose... I have Mylemgran scheduled Thursday.
    I had Thermal ep injections L2 L3 L4 and L5 both sides.
    Pain is still at 10 and since injections this am now I am having serious spasms buttocks and groin Left and Right
    And my head hurts.
    Lisa Corzine
  • I'm glad you have a surgeon that is going to go through your entire spinal medical history to come up with the best plan possible. Drink tons of water tonight and tomorrow, (can't remember if you've had a mylegram before) Let us know how everything goes.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.