Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lost my Pain Dr...Anyone know a decent one near Flint, MI?

Not sure if this is the right forum spot?
Long story short, my current pain dr office just called to say he was being investigated by the DEA!!!! He can no longer write more than a class 1 script. He has not been charged but they have no idea how long this will take.
I have been going to this Dr for 3 years. He has been excellent. I am currently down to Percocets from large quantities of Oxycodone. I was traveling one hour one way to see this Dr once per month. Now I have about 10 days meds left if I am lucky. I have good insurance and work 7 days a week (with the help of my pain meds).
I have had a spinal fusion L3-L4, discogram, numerous epidurals including one that gave me an infection and nearly killed me. No more epidurals.
This site has helped me before and am hoping it can do the same again. SOOOO frustrating that this has happened. Feel bad for my Dr.
I am going to be in a world of hurt if I cannot find a new pain dr willing to help. I have done everything, including P.T. 3 times. Frustrating when I cannot get access to what is needed to keep me a functioning member of society.
Anyone seeing a decent pain Dr. near Flint, MI?
Thank You...

• Did you ask your pain doc who is under investigation who he would reccomend? He should know of another pain doctor in your area. Be prepared you may have to undergo some scrutiny since the doc you were seeing is now under investigation. When I moved to a different state it was very hard to find a pain doctor. It was all very hush, hush around here. Better yet ask your surgeon for to refer you to someone. He or she has to know of one or three around you somewhere.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 05/21/2013 - 10:00 AM
    The best option for finding a new pain management doctor is your insurance booklet or website. They provide a listing of physicians of various specialities that are participants in your medical plan. Another option is to contact your local hospital and they can also provide you with a list of names of physician's in your area.
    You can also check online at one of the pain managemment physician listing websites. I believe one is called the American Academy of Pain Physicians or Pain management physicians. Not sure which one it is but I know there are a couple of them.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Make a appointment with your primary care Dr and explain what has happened and have him refer you to another PM. Maybe he will prescribe your meds for you until you can be seen. Good luck
  • aviator24aaviator24 Posts: 9
    edited 05/22/2013 - 12:13 PM
    I found 2 new pain Dr's willing to see me. My original Dr did not have anyone to refer me to. He is still able to write class 1 meds, not that they would help.
    I am rationing my meds I have until I get into these new pain Drs. One I talked to today does not prescribe Percs but rather a longer acting pain med? She told me the name of it but I should have written it down as I forgot. Never heard of it?? Not a phenatyl patch. She said it was for chronic pain and was more of a longer acting med rather than a break through pain med?? So, we shall see...
    This is all very disturbing and upsetting. Play by the rules. Work 60 hours a week thanks to my meds. Never over medicate. Now I may not even get them. It is almost like they want me to not be able to support myself and be miserable...
  • Avaitor I've been there...I'm glad you found docs to go to. It took me awhile like I said when I moved. I had to fly back to my doctor every 2 months until I found one where I moved to. I had people reccomond him and I'm glad I found him.

She may be talking about Oxycotin. I say that becasue it's percocet without the Tylenol. Percocet has oxycodone and tylenol. In the begining I was prescribed percocet. When my Dad, who was a pharmacist realized this was going to be long term he talked to my doctor and told him that Tylenol for long period use could cause liver damage. So then I was prescribed Oxycotin long acting with oxycodone break through meds. This was about 12 years ago. I think they were just realizing that tylenol with extended use was not so good on the liver. Hang in there. Hopefully you'll find more relief with this doctor and mabe make the pain managable.

• I am hopeful. I used to take oxycotin. Could not afford it when I lost my insurance. I had never heard of what she said? I have decent (BCBS) insurance now, but they fight me on the meds. If it is not one thing its another...
  • Kiki48KKiki48 Posts: 196
    edited 05/23/2013 - 4:11 AM
    Oh yes, oxycotin is over the top. I had to stop taking it to stop taking it too. I'm in the process of getting something else but have to wait until June 12. Luckily my doc gave me enough oxycodone to get me through which is cheaper than the timed release. I'd be curious on what pain med your doc was talking about. You can PM meif you like when you know.

• I am anxious. Two appointments, no fun.
  • Aviator, the new doctor may be talking about using the butrans transdermal patches. Those are supposed to last for I believe 7 days, and are supposed to be a good pain reliever. I know that it comes in several different strengths, so if one doesn't work then you can always try the next dosage up.
    Good luck with your appointments.
  • I sure hope so.
    When it rains it pours. Rationing out my remaining meds. Not looking good. Going to call both Dr's and see if I can get in sooner or on a "cancelation list". Hopefully I will get in before my first appointment in 2 weeks. Have about 10 days of medication if I really stretch it.
    And of course I stood up too fast at work and now my lower back is really hurting.
    What next...
  • Dr Sripada he is a very good pain management dr his office is at Hemphill and Saginaw. It is IINN, but ice seen him for almost 3 years and he is understanding and is by far the best pain management Doctor in the Flint area.
  • Dr Sripada he is a very good pain management dr his office is at Hemphill and Saginaw. It is IINN, but ice seen him for almost 3 years and he is understanding and is by far the best pain management Doctor in the Flint area.