Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C5-6 C6-7 4weeks post op

Hi everyone one!

I'm new here and so pleased to have found you!

I had my surgery done on the 23rd of April 2013 in London, UK, with doctor Casey. I was suffering from severe pain in my left arm, hand and leg and it was getting in my right side.
It all started 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with herniated discs in Italy. Back then I had injections of ozone directly in the discs and it worked amazingly! As I am a dance teacher, I managed to keep doing my job full time until 2 years ago when the pain came back.

Anyway...I haven't been teaching or working for the past year and this surgery was the only option I had left.

I heard so many bad outcome from it, it took me a while to make the decision!
If you are about to have this surgery done and need some feedback, well, mine are very good :) I had it done on the 23rd at 11am, back in the ward at 4pm, taking pictures of myself pouting lol talking to my parents on the phone, walked to the toilets by myself and ate a big plate of pasta at 7 pm :)

Oh and guess what? NO NECK BRACE!!!

The nurse gave me paracetamol and morphine, I didn't like the morphine as it was making me a bit sick, therefore she i was off it straight away.
They sent me home the following morning with only some paracetamol to take for the pain...NO NECK BRACE!!!
I took the tube to get home :D

The main pain I had for 10 days were "tensions" in the neck and shoulder blades. No pain anymore in my leg :)
I started to get pain again in my left arm and shoulder blade towards the end of week 1. I was prepared for it, mentally.
4 weeks later and the pain hasn't disappeared but, again, I think it is normal after such a surgery!

I stopped the med towards the end of week 2. I only take it when I feel a bit sore.

I started walking on week 2, it was SO bizarre lol I was walking very slowly, avoiding any shock with my foot against the ground. Now I do power walk :) yesterday I did my first VERY GENTLE work out, using my dance background I'm experimenting :)
I did abdominal exercises on the floor with gentle stretches of the legs and back then, standing up with my hands in my pockets, I did some "pliés" and "dégagés" for my legs. I'm feeling ok today despite the usual pain in my left arm...

Voila! Btw, I'm French, 47yrs old, living in London.

Shall I keep you updated with my recovery? Are you experimenting pain like me?

Have an amazing day and keep POSITIVE!!!

• Hi Zillu I had my surgerys in 2007 and 2012, I had C3 to C7 , its only four weeks since you had your surgery and recovery is up to 6 weeks. It sounds like your doing well , when you left hosptial they would or given you a exercise sheet to follow just be carefull not to over do it . Glad to here you walking is good, you really seam to have the right attude to your recovery. Goodluck
  • Hi Tyna,

Thanks for your message :)

No, they didn't give me any exercise plan when I left. I have a follow up appointment on the 14th of June, I'm guessing they will tell me what to do then...

The good thing about not wearing a neck brace at all is that you stimulate and make your muscles work straight away, it's a strange feeling to start with but it really helps getting back to normal quickly.
    I've been doing some streching exercises anyway and it's helping too.

If you don't mind me asking, why did u get 2 surgeries and are you still getting any pain?

Have a great day :)
  • tina coylettina coyle Posts: 125
    edited 05/25/2013 - 5:40 AM
    Hi again I had my first surgery in May 2007 C3/C4 C4/C5 then in november 2007 I had C5/C6 done . In 2007 they told me I had cauda equina syndrome witch is when the disc's are conpressing the spinal cord and I had loss the use of my legs and controll of my bladder before surgery and all my other musles were weak. After surgery I got the use of my legs back but they have never been the same or my bladder. Then my next surgery was in 2011 , I had C6/C7 done , aiso have L4/L5 S1/ compermise and thoracic scoliosis so mine is a bit of a different case, but you sound like you are doing great and I wish you the best.