Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recent C1-C2 & C5-C6 posterior neck fusion surgery

Has anyone, recently, had C1-C2 & C5-C6 neck fusion surgery from the back done lately?

Have gotten 2 opinions and both agree on the above. Am curious as to how the surgery went, how long in the hospital, and how is recovery?

The procedure will by posterior because there are so many vertebraes involved. Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had the posterior surgery for fusion of C3-c7. You will hear alot of horror stories about the posterior surgery and people had me scared to death. For me the surgery was not that bad. The worst part is how angry your muscles are. The only bad part for me was getting up from a laying down position. That lasted about 2 weeks. So if you are given the option for a prescription for a hospital bed for your recovery take him up on it. That will save alot of frustration. Keep us posted and good luck
    Susan
  • Is anyone comfortable in a recliner for awhile with cervical done?
    Vicki
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Yes vicki, that was my bed of choice post-op, it really worked well for me.
    I have some more issues which will require another go-round of a c-spine fusion and I find myself sleeping in the recliner overnight at different times, sometimes I do sleep better there than in bed. Of course meds probably help me too. ;-)
    ranger
  • The recliner was my best friend for about a week and a half after I came home. I had a posterior laminectomy and fusion from C3 to T4. I was in the hospital for 6 days and, though my experience may be singular, trying to situp was the most excruciating pain I had ever experienced for 5 days. On the 6th day things were a bit better. I was placed in a Minerva upper body thoracic/cervical brace for a period of 6 weeks and prescribed a bone growth stimulator. It was rough going, I am still far from 100% but things are getting better. Good luck to you.
  • Thanks for feedback I am still checking over list for must haves.
    Vicki
  • Havana
    I am 19 days post op from a C1/C2 posterior fusion.surgery. My surgery lasted about 5 hours and I spent 3 days in the hospital. Recovery is going well so far but is slower than I would like. My surgeon doesn't believe in neck braces which made for a rough first week. I am restricted to lifting no more than 10# for the first 3 weeks. So far my rehab is limited to walking to reduce neck spasms, light core exercises and light range of motion work. My second post op appointment is not scheduled until the 4.5 week point so I won't start official physical therapy until after that. I'll keep you posted if you like.
    Montana
advertisement