Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How bad is an RFA?

Next month I am scheduled for an RFA on my right side C3 through C6. I wanted to see if anyone has any input on how bad it is? The procedure will be on the 11th and I have a very important certification exam on the 13th.

• My experience with the RFA was not that bad. I had to be there 45 minutes before the procedure so I could have the sedative. I was given a Fentanyl lollipop and it worked really well. I was awake but didnt really care. To me it was no worse than having an epidural injection. Unfortunately mine only lasted about 4 weeks once it kicked in but hopefully you will get some long term relief from it.

• I've had it twice on my lower back. I took 5mg liquid valium right before they did it. It wasn't as bad for me as some people have experienced.

The first time worked for about 6 months, but the second time was a waste of time.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 05/25/2013 - 3:56 PM
    Hi I have had about six or seven. I wold have to get out records to be sure.
    No sedation, some numbing agents and then placement of the needle with fluoroscope and some unit that put of some noise like a pulse when he was close to the nerve.
    All of mine have worked well for about a year now with no problems.
    I know I read where others have issues and its my thought that he skill of the doctor is what really matters.

Good luck
  • BadBack25yearsBBadBack25years Posts: 5
    edited 05/28/2013 - 9:02 AM
    I'm schedule to have this done on the right side of my lower back next week. The doctor told me that the last injectons that I had should be a good indicator of how the ablation should do. I felt pretty good for about 4 weeks and he said that indicated that i should be a good candidate. I think that treatment for back pain is really just trial and error. Hopefully this will last last longer than just a few weeks. Time will tell.
  • I have nerve block shots this Thursday. I think this will determine if the RFA will help. Sonerve blocking on the 6th and RFA on the 11th if all goes well.
  • Yes the blocks are a good test to see if the RF will help.
    Its a good diagnostic test.

Good luck
  • darnithurtsddarnithurts Posts: 1
    edited 08/18/2013 - 11:10 AM
    I will have had my RFA 2 weeks as of this coming Thursday. I have not noticed any relief yet but I remain hopeful. This has gone on since April 2004. But I was out like a light when they did it. They gave me 2 Valium and then about 30 min later they gave me Versed (however you spell it) so I would not remember anything, and I don't. Chronic pain is horrible to live with. My pain meds barely touch it. I can't walk or stand that long. I am always laying down on my left side. I don't date. It's just no way to live....you know?