Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

having scs trial now..

twinmommittwinmommi Posts: 1
edited 05/23/2013 - 3:37 PM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi, I am new to this site. I can't believe all the information! I am currently day two of my scs trial. I really don't like the feeling it gives me. Anyone else have that issue? I also seem to have to turn it way up to get relief and then I really can't stand the feeling. I was injured in a car accident June 2012 had a microdisectomy in November. I have scar tissue that is wrapped around my sciatic nerve. Everytime I move the scar tissue irritates the nerve root. My original surgeon told me oh its just scar tissue the pain is all in your head ..the mri shows it around the nerve. The second doctor suggested-pushed the scs. He is convinced this is the cure for me..was told by the rep that if they didn't think I was a good fit or would not work they would not have done procedure. I am feeling a little pressured and scared they will drop me. I was told more surgery won't help, I have done PT, chiro, massage, injections, lyrica u name it...I do get some relief from pain meds. I just really hate to be on them. But, from what I have read and experienced you still have to take the meds..so what is the point of the scs? I am so confused!!!!

• twinmommi said:
    I do get some relief from pain meds. I just really hate to be on them. But, from what I have read and experienced you still have to take the meds..so what is the point of the scs?
    I just got mine implanted last week. For me the point of getting it was taking another bite out of my chronic pain apple. I have been dealing w/chronic pain long enough to know nothing is going to take all my pain away. I too get some relief from my meds; maybe not as much as I wish but they help. The same can be applied to my choice to get the SCS. It may not be everything I wished for, but it helps and in the end it all adds up to more relief.

I got 4 programs for the trial. I had to crank them up to get relief. At those levels it was almost an unpleasant sensation, but it was more tolerable than the pain. I was told that the lead used in the trail was not as accurate as the paddle and placement would be w/the permanent unit. I was told the same could be said about the programs options I would get w/the permanent unit. I made my decision based on what the unit did for me in the trial. If I got the improvement as far as targeting and coverage w/the permanent unit that would be great, but I made my decision knowing that might not happen.

I would not do something that I was unsure of or felt was not in my best interest. I have also been dealing with this a bit longer than you have. I have learned to trust my PM doctor. We have been working together for years now. The SCS was not suggested as an option by my PM until recently. I am not sure how I would feel if I was given/considering this option in the first year of my chronic pain journey. In the end you will have to make your own decision on what you want to do.