Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbmess in leg when driving

Hi, I am a new member to this forum and am really helping someone can offer me advice/may have/be experiencing similar symptoms to myself. I noticed a numbness appearing down my right leg, that then travelled across my foot, culminating in my right toe, whilst driving five years ago. This numbness means that I can not feel the pedals properly and know how much pressue I am exerting on the pedal. Also my foot stars to slip off the pedal and I have to look down to know where my foot is!! The problem first occured when I was in the late stages of pregnancy. The numbness always starts with a cramping sensation in my right buttock. I also find it uncomfortable to lie on my right side (lower hip) to a varying degree. An EMG study identified mild weakness on the right hand side. These findings were thought to be consistent with a right L5 radiculpathy and needed to be confirmed with an MRI scan. I was turned down for funding for an open Mri scan (they are now only available for the clinically obesis) not claustrophobics!! I suffer from severe clautsrophobia and did not manage to stay in the scanner for the full lenght of time needed so part of the results were visible. The scan showed a bulging disc on the left hand side but nothing on the right to account for the numbness I experience. As I am 43 and have had firbrositis in my shoulders since I was 17 and narrowing of the discs etc. all the things to be expected from an aging spine the bulging disc is not a surpise! I do suffer from lower bache ache which I am guessing is radiating from this left hand bulge, however it is an ache and not pain and is controllable with exercise. The back ache has certainly improved as my young children have got older. I was told the left hand bulge would not be causing the symptoms on the right hand side. I have had two lots of Physiotherapy on the NHS which were useful but did nothing to improving the numbness. I was also prescribed Gabopentin, which had emblazened accross the box " do not dirve" on these tablets!!!!I have now been referred to a surgeon who is suggesting an operation which is 60-70% effective in improving chronic pain (lamonectomy). I have two young children and the recovery time for the operation is not something that is feasible at this time. However, pain is not my problem. Numbness and a weakness in my leg is the problem when I am driving. My right toe is permanently numb all the time but this does not cause me a problem outside of the car. Clearly it is the postion of driving and flexing of the foot that is ageravating the problem (my surgeon is not a bliever in piriformis and does not see this as a consideration). It is my understanding from reading this site and others that surgery is a last resort after non evasive tecniques have been tried. As I AM NOT in pain and I know how lucky I am not to be and I have a good quality of life, apart from the problems caused by not being able to drive safely, I am very reluctant to go down the surgery route. I understand seeing a chiropractor, injections and spinal cord stimulations but all be options to try. None of these have been suggested to be my the doctors I have seen and I have made the suggestions to them. I feel very cheated that because of the length of time this problem has gone on for I am concerned that any nerve damage/compression might now be permenant. The first consultant I saw said that I did not need to have an MRI scan as the results of this would only be needed if an operation were to be a consideration, which he said it was not. Several years on and another opinion suggests otherwise. Does anyone else out there suffer from lower back ache and numbness down the leg and foot when driving but is otherwise not in pain?!!! Also, how easy is it to see a Chiropractor on the NHS? If money were not issue, I would of course, tried this on a private basis, years ago! I have always tried to stay positive, but there have been periods over the last few years when I have felt very down about this problem as it is effecting my ability to drive sately and confidently and of course this had had a big impact on my life and that of my familiy. Any experiences/advie would be welcome, thanks.

• Dear Numbdriver,
    I am sorry you are experiencing numbness. I also have a lot of numbness 7 months after lumbar surgery. Fortunately, you aren't in pain (I'm jealous) but I also experience ache and pain down the L5 S1 dermatome pathway when I drive. I am also afraid of not being able to control the accelerator/brake at times with the numb big toe and foot. Have you tried breaking up longer drives? I got out and walked every 20 minutes when I returned to work. It is a bother to plan to stop all the time, but it helped me a bit. Do you notice a difference for longer and shorter drives? Do you have a lumbar cushion and seat that doesn't rise up into the nerve? Unfortunately, the L5 S1 nerve root problems I had stemmed from a huge herniated disc in the lumbar spine. Have you seen a really good occupational therapist/physiotherapist? Sometimes they have good suggestions. Make sure you get an older, experienced person recommended by someone you trust. I feel for you! It is hard to take care of the family when there is a problem. Also-I did an MRI premedicated with Valium because I am a bit claustrophobic myself. I hope you can get some help so that you feel more confident and safe when driving yourself and your family. Best of luck!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thankyou so much for your kind response and suggestions. I have not tried the things you have suggested and so will give them a go. The numbness can start anytime from the end of the road!! to 10-15mins into the journey so longer jounreys have not even been an option for quite some while now! I now fear there is a psychological element of fear involved as well because althought I try not to think about it and am hoping the numbness won't start, I guess in the back of my mind I am waiting for it to!! I would not consider surgery without trying other forms of physical therapy first and I find it very concerning that so many people who have had lumber surgery experience numbness in their legs/feet afterwards! Numbness is something that I do not need anything else of and I certainly do not need to be in pain and worse off than I am now! I am sorry to hear that you have, like so many others on this site, terrible pain. It must be truly awful and so depressing. I find it worrying that all the "professionals" I have consulted have been very non plussed about the driving issue. The only response being, "its's up to you wether you drive or not, but probably best not to, oh and don't tell your insurance company!!" I hope you find a solution to your pain and numbness problems soon x