Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do Scar Cream help to remove Surgical Scars ?

BillyThrontonBBillyThronton Posts: 1
edited 06/09/2013 - 8:05 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Recently I went through a spinal operation which left me with the surgical scar mark. I am worried about taking another surgery to remove this scar. And one of my friend referred me to take scar cream, so I found it as a best option. But here also I have doubt onto choose which scar cream. I found on Scar Formula website which says that they use a chinese traditional medicine called Panax ginseng as ingredient. Does any one know about this ? And can anyone suggest a scar cream to remove surgical marks.

Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• When my brother had open heart surgery over 30 years ago he used Vitamin E oil and it made a difference. He used it rather late but it did help. I don't know anything about panax ginseng.

• One thing I can tell you is that sunscreen on a new scar will go a long way with keeping the scarring to a minimum. Good luck!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • As a therapist whose taught scar massage, it's important to massage scar using a vitamin E oil and/or cream (Nivea/ Eucerin). Then search youtube for scar massage massage technique videos. They're out there to find. Scar management takes takes a few weeks of attention, 5-10 minutes per day but it will look/feel much better! Look Look also for silicone pads to apply to the scar, which will provide constant pressure on scar to reduce it.
    XLIF of L3+L4 with posterior titanium screws
  • I have also read that aloe vera and mederma for scars helps to reduce the scar as well. It is worthwhile to see if they work and what results there are. I have two awful scars down my back from my own back surgeries, and a few other scars from other surgeries, so I might just take my own advice and see how the mederma scar stuff works.....I'll let you know.
  • I just got some scar cream that my surgeon had sent, $1800 !!!! I could not believe how much it was and could not believe my
    ins covered it minus my $25 co pay. This stuff better work great for that price. It is some sort of compound that was sent fedex from a pharmacy about 20 miles away. And I could not get my ins to pay for my testosterone which is a compound, well what they would pay for was the ingredients, not the labor to mix and bottle, so i have to pay $70 out of pocket a month but they did not even question this $1780.25 cream, go figure.
    Jan 2007 Aortic and Pulmanary Valves replaced
    ACDF C4-C7 May 24 2013