Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

agrivatedaagrivated Posts: 3
edited 05/25/2013 - 3:07 PM in Lower Back Pain
Just found out after 6 months of injections p.t. and epiderals that I now face surgery due to a slip and fall injury that happened at work due to a negligent maintenance person and some hydraulic oil. The fall herniated my l4/l5 and s1 discs with a severe annual tear in my l5 disc. Emg results show severe nerve damage; and now I am having charlie horse feelings in my groin and legs (both) in my thighs and calf. They are talking about removing part of the actual vertibre to relieve the pressure on my nerves but this isn't getting any better. My pain won't allow me to sleep I can't stand for prolong periods of time nor sit for more than 10 mins and sleep? I forgot what a good nights sleep is. My family's suffering and to top it off my sex life is nil. I have always been active in martial arts weight lifting running etc. Is there any hope to be free of pain? I hate taking the meds and don't want to sound sissified but I'm sick of hurting? The best the doctors can say is we hope this helps. Am I going to hurt the rest of my life? i have a baby on the way and im afraid that i wont be able to bend (because i cant now) and lift him/her nor will i be able to do all the things i wish to for the baby. The worst part now is knowing that the person responsible (outside myself) for my injury is still scamming the company for a salary hes not there to earn and i sit and worry daily about bills and how im gonna pay them with the next to nothing that W.C, pays me. i am use to making triple what they pay me now and i have animals and 2 other children who expect me to play and do all the fatherly things they were neglected from their "dad" who left them. In short im not looking for sympathy just anyone with intel on what to expect out of this surgery and IF,IF im gonna get better or just be a pill head the rest of my life to escape the constant burning and knife like pain i feel.

Thanks to anyone with information whether it be good news or bad i just want the facts and truth.

• Welcome to Spine Health, I' rather new here myself although I have a long history of spinal issues and pain. There are a lot of people here that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences, which will hopefully be of help to you.

At this time I will wish you good luck, and advise you to listen closely when your Dr. speaks with you and do not hesitate to ask questions, also to get another opinion if at any time you feel you need to.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam, liz jellyhall or sandi

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi I had a feeling that a knife was being pushed into my back and continually twisted all day every day. I got a magnetic pillow and underlay which really gave me some relief. Our bodies are made up of electrical circuits so think that's why it worked. Still have intractable pain but at least it's not that knife feeling anymore.

You really need to get some sleep so I'd ask for some sleep meds cause sleep is the only way your body heals. I think a lot of people on this site are over achievers, like martial arts, sports etc so I know I fought through the pain for years until I couldn't do it anymore. I'd really pay for it the next day. Have linked to an Intractable Pain Handbook which really helped me, wish I had read it years ago. I've just started the diet stuff. Sometimes my pain is a bit less if I eat stuff like asparagus. Sorry thought you said you have always been good at marital arts - the sex thing
    not martial arts until I reread your post.

There are a lot of people on this site who have the same surgery as they are going to give you so I'd read through the posts. Haven't had surgery YET My pain is thoracic and has complications. 'Pain is your enemy' so please remember this when you are angry and do things that you know will put you in more pain. Hope you have a less pain day/night.
  • i want to thank everyone for their input, Yes the docs did prescribe me meds, but i dont want them nor the false reality of "oh i feel better" besides being a former military man to boot makes me realize that pain can be my friend it lets me know im alive. I live by the code that pain is weakness leaving your body but in this case im regretfully having to resort to pain meds, they make me sick literally and i have such a low tolerance to them that IF i do break down and take one im out for no less than 24 hrs and then wake feeling nauseated and disoriented,like ive been sent to a false world to live,not my thing. Being stubborn about it yes i am but i have a family who depend on me daily to do the things needed to survive. My wife who is pregnant and due soon tries to lessen my load but have any of you tried to tell a former marine he CAN'T do something? lol fuels my fire... Really i do appreciate all the intel i can get and i will consider all possibilities to aide in my recovery..

Thanks to all who take their time to read and reply to this.
  • Been waking up lately with my shoulder that was impacted upon my back injury. I am concerned its related to my slip and fall also and want to know if this may be possible that I am just now feeling this pain. It hurt to raise my arm above shoulder level and the tension in my neck is not going away.
  • First, I'd like to thank you for your service, especially on today-Memorial day. Second, the very best advice I can give you, you'll probably shrug off/role your eyes at, or thing I'm already doing that.... but the very best advice I can give is to approach EVERYTHING spine related with a positive attitude. And if you think you are being positive, try to be more positive. Everyone expects spinal problems to be physically hard, but most forget that it is often equally emotionally hard. I hope you are able to find a treatment that works for you. At this point, there is no reason to think you'll have to live forever in pain... though it might take several different tries with different conservative treatments in different combinations. Hang in there. Best of luck to you. Congrats on your baby! You will be a great father, be positive about that, and think of all the things you can do and teach to your baby/child. And again, thank you for your service.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 05/27/2013 - 10:30 PM
    Yep told lots of Colonels and even a few Brigadiers they couldn't do something - and have seen a lot of horrific war wounds both physical and mental but if I told you about them would have to kill you Ha Ha - you are Military so know what I mean.

Know you guys try to tough it out and it's hard for you because of your training but remember the wounded don't get counted, only the dead.

Back pain doesn't discriminate , you can't fight through it like I did for years. At least if it happened at work in the Military you should be getting pretty good treatment and after care in your own hospital. Also the Health schemes are great at least in Aus for the Military. Hope you get some good intel from this site.
  • Have you had a cervical MRI? Let your Dr. know about your additional issues with neck/shoulder pain. It could be that you had a pre-existing condition and the imbalance due to your slip and fall has aggrevated it or it could be a new issue.
    Either way it is important to get it taken care of. I have a very weak left arm due to waiting to long to have surgery and now have permanent nerve damage. The military teaches us to "suck it up" and keep moving but this is a case where you need to get the medical treatment to prevent further damage.
    Congrats on the addition to your family, hopefully you can get your back taken care of and allow you to fully participate in your family.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
This discussion has been closed.