Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

afraid I could lose my license

patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
Last week, one of my colleague got arrested for failing to make a stop near our workplace. During the week, we discussed the situation and teased her a lot. That got us to talk about my situation and driving. For those of you who don't know, I'm fused from occiput to c3. That makes driving for me somewhat of a challenge. Because of the fusion, I've lost about 50% neck rotation, 20-30% in flexion and I can't almost not do lateral flexions. People can easily notice that there's something wrong with my neck. That brings us to my colleague's question. What happens if you get arrested and the policeman notices that you have trouble moving you head (which he/she surely would) and start asking questions. What if I tell him/her about my condition and they think I shouldn't be driving? Could they decide, to take away my license? I've been thinking about it this weekend and it troubles me. If that would happen to me, what would I be able to do? I've already lost so much because of my condition I surely wouldn't need that. Driving is really important for my independence and mental health, I don't think I could deal with loosing my license. What is your take on that? As it ever happened to anyone of you guys? I'd really like some input on that.

• Pat, that is one thing that is scary. Funny I wondered the same thing with me. My input is...do what the DMV pamplet says. The younger you are the more important that is. That way there will be no reason for a cop to stop you.

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    I always try to be cautious when I drive and even more so now Kiki! But you never know! I wouldn't want to be stuck in a situation where I can't get to work because of my condition.

I'm still wondering if it ever happened to someone? But it's nice to see that I'm not the only to wonder. :)

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364

After this the state revoked my license for an undertermined period of time.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 05/30/2013 - 10:19 PM
    Have no fear about loosing you D/L for a stiff neck. Use caution driving with meds and do not carry many with you. I keep mine in the trunk along with the paper work you get. One or two pills in your purse could take some time to explain with out paper work or the labeled bottle you might have a problem. If they demand a test do a breath test not a blood test and never admit to taking pain meds before driving. Most meds caution about driving until you know what they do to you.

In CA my ex was on jury duty and the case was about a guy who went to sleep driving at a stop light
    He told the cop he had been smoking weed and was arrested for dui. He was found not guilty because CA. Did not have a level of what is safe and what is not like alcohol does.

Now back to the stiff neck. I remodeled a home for a quad who had just enough movement in a hand for a joy stick control for his wheel chair. They made a full size ford van for him to drive by himself
    anywhere he went. He did have a driving test and passed. A stiff neck isn't anything like this.
    Just be careful and get extra mirrors if possible and drive in ways to prevent issues.

Good Luck
  • Just a suggestion, you might look into the mirror system deaf people are required to have.

• I can't help to think that your surgeon would have told you BEFORE the surgery that you would no longer be able to drive. And even if the expected surgical outcome would allow you to drive, if he felt post surgery you were not capable of being a safe driver he would have then told you that. I know I have had friends/family who have had seizures and they have said the doctor "pulled' their license until they were so long seizure free. I never thought to ask details, I'm not sure if they meant the doctor verbally just said, "no driving" or if the doctor filed a case with the DMV. Not sure. I think the idea of more/better mirrors would be a good idea. If it were me, I'd call the surgical nurse and talk to her/him about it.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 05/31/2013 - 11:53 PM
    Just interested in what the deaf mirrors are and how o install and where to buy.
    Sounds like maybe be use full for many of us.
    I have rented out houses to many deaf families and didn't see anything out of place.
    Is this maybe like the long Interior mirror like a NASCAR set up?
    I liked driving a motor home when my fun started with large truck style mirrors with blind spot ovals added.
    Sounds like a good idea if it helps with less motion.

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    edited 06/01/2013 - 3:19 AM
    My surgeon did tell me that I was going to lose about 50% of ROM, but it's not like the surgeries were an option. At one of my follow-up, I brought up the driving question again and one of my surgeon's assistant suggested the convex mirrors. I was already using the small round convex mirrors on my side view mirrors but he also suggested a convex wide-angle rear view mirror. I bought one of these at Canadian Tire and I find them hard to use. The image is somewhat distorted and it's hard on my eyes so I finally took it off and haven't been using it.

I think the hardest part for me is shoulder checks and turning on a road where there's a small ramp. These ramp make it so that my car is somewhat parallel to the street but not totally and in that situation I can't really use my side mirror and I can't turn my head enough to see the upcoming traffic. That's the hardest situation I've been in while driving. Most of the time, I try to plan my route ahead so that I don't have to use those small ramp.

Anyway, I'm a little bit off subject, but thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions and advice.

• I have had 3 surgeries on my C1/C2 and with my last surgery lost 50% mobility in all directions which makes driving very hard and looking over the shoulder is not an option. I have my mirroes adjusted out farther than most so that the closest part of my mirror shows my back quarter panel and I have the small oval mirrors on the outside bottom corner of both my mirrors. This seems to cover most of the blind spot and I do not have to look over my shoulder. I am much more cautious now when driving since my surgery and only drive when taking my son to daycare and myself to work other than that I do not drive.