Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First week post op XLIF worries

Greetings Everyone,
This forum has been a godsend of information and support for me and my family. I am 41 years old, married with 2 children elementary school age. On 5-22-13, I completed a lumbar fusion of L3 to L4 vertebrae with discectomy. Dr. performed XLIF with titanium screws posteriorly. This coming week is scary because I will be alone at home for first time!! Please give any testimonials/advice about the first days you were home alone. My wife and I have discussed this and have prepared as best we could, I think. I am wondering if it's ok to bend at my knees ( not my back) to get things in top shelf of refrigerator? I believe I can manage some light meal prep. in kitchen if things are set up properly. I was told to follow BLT' s by hospital Physical Therapist, meaning no Bending, Lifting, Twisting or Stretching. Then surgeon's says lifting restricted to no more than 5#. Yes it's ironic that I am a working Occupational Therapist, and I had back surgery. God has a sense of humor! I am estimating a return to work in 6 weeks per surgeon. This sounds too soon, what do you all say? I would be glad to share my professional experiences/knowledge with folks in this forum too. Thanks for your replies and support.
XLIF of L3+L4 with posterior titanium screws

• Just my experiences...knees bending is fine. You'll need to do that to sit down anyhow :-). Be gentle though as your muscles will probably fire a bit differently (I'm a kinesiology PhD student, so I get the irony. My PT is a c-spine fusion person...it makes us better at our jobs!).

I was able to go back to work in 3 hour shifts after my surgery, but I needed frequent position changes plus meds, ice packs, & heat packs. My surgeon wanted me out of work & classes for 3-6 months, but it wasn't financially feasible. A lot of it will just depend on how well you can cope and deal with your work environment.
    1/16/2013 Minimally invasive TLIF with rods, screws, and cage on L5/S1 joint to treat grade 2 spondylolysthesis, pars defect, degenerative disc disease. Dealt with chronic pain & nerve issues since at least 2007.