Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Battery Placement

I'm hoping that I can get some feedback on battery placement. My doctor told me to put a dot on my backside to show where I want it implanted. I hope to ride horses again so I don't want it where my saddle will rub. I think that above me waistband will work but I don't have much meat there and I don't know if that will be a problem. Anyone's experiences are appreciated.

• Hi Horse girl
    My unit was placed in my lower back a few inches above my belt line. Three years and no problems. I am pretty thin there and it does show some but so what. The position has never bothered me, I can sleep on my sides or back.
    One question for you is do they just do the battery or do you get a newer updated unit?

Good luck and I feel if the ride doesn't hurt you the unit above your pants should be fine.
    Just thinking about riding a horse makes me hurt.

Ride a cowboy save a horse!

• But mine is cervical
  • Rickilalas said:
    One question for you is do they just do the battery or do you get a newer updated unit?

Thanks Rick
    I am getting my first SCS for low back, leg pain. The battery is an EON mini model. I do know I'm getting a laminectomy for paddle placement. My rep gave me a battery to tape to my body so I can if it will rub on the saddle. I wear low riding jeans so I can't put it where my waistband goes so maybe just above the waist will be good. I was afraid that in an area with no extra tissue there can be a problem. I don't care if it shows. I just want pain relief. I just want to be able to walk to the barn to feed the animals again.
  • Horsegirl.

The only issue I ever had was sitting down in a hardwood chair to quick and the unit hit the wood.
    It wasn't bad it was just like a bruise would be. I would put it above where reg jeans would not hit it.
    My back is pretty solid in the area it was placed.
    Is the EON mini is StJudes isn't it. Is it rechargeable. I could not see them using a non rechargeable one with today's tech. Have you ad your trial yet?
    I am interested as I ,may add a second one for my foot. So just looking at what is on the market.
    Good luck and I hope it works for you. I could not get near a horse.

I had a cervical trial but can not have the implant yet because of cord damage, maybe next year.
    I was set up for the cervical unit and the main unit was going to be placed in the lumbar area with long leads. How does the bra area implant work for you. It seems the bra strap would be a issue.
    I hope it isn't.

• Rich
    Yes, the battery is St Judes and it is rechargeable. It is only 10mm thick.
    Are afraid of horses or just in too much pain? I have been barrel racing. I started at 50 yrs old. Last year, when an injection worked for 2 months, I won champion for my age group. I've been riding my whole life until pain got in the way. I don't plan on barrel racing anymore but I did start a horse in cutting a couple years ago and he wants to work and loves cows. I hope to do that in six months or so. I know I have to wait for scar tissue to form. My doc said it takes a year for the scar to finish.
    Oh Yeah...I do ride a cowboy! LOL
  • Havent had it put in yet. Dr said thats where he puts them at bra line no further conversation. So guess it will have to work for me. I do like that from bra line down no tissue destruction, Has to be easier recoup. Infact he said I will be able to turn it on in 3 days or sooner.??????????
  • pandqmamappandqmama Posts: 175
    edited 05/30/2013 - 11:53 AM
    Mine is about an inch above my waistline. I wear low-rise pants when I'm charging otherwise my pants get in the way.

I don't have much extra space back there either and mine too can be seen but not through my shirt.

I hope it works for you. One thing I would recommend to any person starting this journey, if your not getting the coverage you hoped, don't panic. I went through two reps before I found one who knew what he was doing.
  • If it was me I do not have much there and it shows if some one looks when the area is exposed.
    No big deal but I would just make sure its above the pants and skirt line. A nice tight skirt may be a issue. We have no fat there to cushion it. some things tight over the implant can feel like a bruise.

In Jr high and the first years of high school my girlfriend had a hoarse boarded near our homes. He did not like me he did not want to share me with her. He would pin me on the Fench or whip his tale into my face when she was not looking. I had no idea how smart they are. One kiss to her and he came after me when she turned her back. It was funny but did scare me he was big. Horses are smart.

In Mexico we did a long horse ride through a Mexican village and the several miles back. My hoarse going back to the hoarse corral took off from the group and the guide did nothing. I thought I was going to be so lost but he took a short cut back to get his treat and would not do anything for me so I just watch now. LOL

I do like to watch ladies ride a good and well trained hoarse.
    The dances after wards is why I went. Country women had it to gather.
    Plus you had contact with the ladies at the dances. Lots of clean fun

• RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 05/30/2013 - 9:29 PM
    I don't understand all the different start times. My unit was turned on and programed in the recovery room.
    I wounded if your bra would rub against it and cause irritation. To bad some body doesn't do a breast implant to hide the unit. Just a thought. I have not met a lady with one implanted so high Did you ask if your bra would effect I I wonder if bra size has anything to do about it. I could only see if its in a place where the strap cuts in on you.

Hope it works

Good luck.
  • She has made the most important topic on this.
    If your programing rep is not hitting the right place
    Get another rep and soon. Some of these units have over 44 million choices so a good programmer is the most. Important part of this whole procedure or it will not work.
    Call and get all the reprogramming you need.