Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how did your back pain start?

i am just curious because there are a lot of people out there who have chronic back pain. i am just curious or nosey or both but just to understand others and where they are coming from, maybe a short story about how your back problems started. i know a lot of you had accidents but specifically what caused the problem ie car wreck, fell, wife hit me on the head with a rolling pin? i used to be very active and i ran 10 miles a day for 10 years and played tennis. i got married and my wife and i ran and played tennis all of the time. i was running one day and noticed a pain in my back i never felt before. i laid down on some grass and tried to stretch it out. it did not work so i ran home with the pain. it went away and then after a couple of months playing tennis, same pain, tried to stretch and went away. then after a year or so, the pain got worse, then all of a sudden the pain started in my butt down my right leg and i could hardly walk. it came and went. i had a mri and they saw herniated disc whiich i decided to have surgery physically i am not built for long distance running. i am short and a bit stocky so my physical build caused the stress on my back.
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• Jon, good post, I have to admit, I get curious as well. So i'll start off with myself. I didn't have any defining moments really. I've had back pain ever since I can remember, when i was a kid even. Back then mom gave me children's Tylenol. as I got older Advil worked just fine. Over the last two to three years it just got worse. One day at work i was getting up from my desk and it hurt so bad i couldn't straighten out, so i finally had enough, went to the doctor, he told me I had to get an x-ray before I could get MRI because Insurance. So I got the x-ray and that was when my issues were finally known. He sent me straight to pain management. He said he had never heard of Bertolotti syndrome and he has been practicing for a very LONG time (he is 87ish). So went to pain doctor, he explained that the bertolotti is probably what accelerated the DDD in l3/l4 and l4/l5. (Which is severe, its almost literally bone on bone) and severe facet arthritis, sclerosis of the end plates and severe bone spurs in those same levels.

So he asked me if I wanted him to take over my medications or If i wanted my regular doctor to do it. he said think about it and we'll discuss it next month. He did give me baclofen right there though. I took my urinalysis and was on my way. Next appointment I told him I prefer that he manage my meds. He said OK, gave me a contract to sign and my first prescription. Which was 10/325 percocet 3x a day. Its been a year and a half and I'm on the same dose, it still works good for me. For flair ups I use other things because I like to keep my tolerance down and so far so good. I have been having some strange symptoms lately, but that's for another day. 8-)
  • what is bertolotti syndrome? it sounds like an italian painter. just joking, but seriously i never heard of it. there are so many back issues that i can't keep track of them. all of these initials, sst, ddt, bfd, mouse, iep, depp. one needs a playbook to keep up. half of the time i hear of these from posters, i have to look them up. i give the moderators credit because a lot of them seem to know what they stand for. i just have fusions, and stenosis at one time.
    thanks for posting and keep in touch. by the way i take it you are from ohio. i live in california but i am a mid western guy at heart, i am from iowa. so is it go bucks or another team?

I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Mine started after a motorcycle wreck on a major interstate, after hitting a deer t-bone style. I was thrown from the motorcycle, over my husband's head, and through the air some 75-100 feet before I impacted and rolled another 50 feet or so down the highway. I was 4 months pregnant at the time, and curled into a ball to try to protect my baby, so the brunt of the impact was to my spine, and to my buttocks- skinned buttocks is not pretty!
    Thankfully, my baby was okay, not me however. The accident resulted in a dislocated shoulder and arm, torn apart knees, road rash that was pretty severe down my legs, and some minor head trauma, thank god for helmets, but the majority of the damage was to my spine. Over the next months, leading to the next 15 years, my back problems would flare up, mostly for a month or so, but going to the chiro helped to keep me on my feet for the most part........then in 2005, I did something that led to a weird pop and pain that was unlike the other times. I figured that I would wait a month or so, then go to the chiro like always. He always seemed to get me back up and running.....This time was different though, I started having trouble walking properly, tripping over my feet, the back pain would have me sobbing at night in my sleep, was sent for my first MRI, which showed herniations at three levels, some nerve root impingement and foraminal stenosis, as well as some ligature thickening and unfortunately for me, my chiro had hurt his shoulder and gotten a new partner- this guy was told NOT to do any adjustments until the flare up eased a bit, but instead, he did one one day, and when I say that I felt pain unlike anything that I had experienced so far, I am not kidding.....I tried to stand up after, but my legs wouldn't stay under me......I knew by the way they were spasming that something was seriously wrong and I had to hold myself up to get to my car.....the next morning I was at the surgeon's office, seeing the physiatrist, who then sent me for the MRI films, and had me seeing the surgeon as soon as I got back. I could no longer sit or stand for more than a few minutes, and it was truly excruticating to try to manage..I got sent for two more MRI's , the first myelogram, emgs, times two, and and two CT scans, and was scheduled for surgery within 10 days...
    I sadly developed post op Cauda Equina syndrome from all of the post op swelling and bleeding, and what was a small patch on my left leg that was numb prior to the surgery became bilateral numbness, bilateral total foot drop, and damage to my bladder and bowels, as well as other areas of my lower body...I failed to fuse, as time went on, I increasingly wound up loosing more and more of my ability to hold myself up, my legs got progressively weaker as time went on , and finally I was told that I would spend the rest of my life in motorized wheelchairs.......I got fed up with being told that it could take up to two years before I would know how the surgery was turning out, and sought out three other opinions. I KNEW that what happened post op was not right , although I also wasn't sure what happened, I knew that something did and I saw several other surgeons, one of which finally decided to explain to me what happened.My original surgeon, whom I saw many times during the first 18 months post op, lied to my face, over and over, telling me that things would improve, all the whille things were getting worse and worse as time went on.......
    I finally consulted with a neurosurgeon who was willing to take a chance to try to preserve my ability to stay on my own two feet, but he told me that it was strictly a salvage operation.......no guarantees, whatsoever. He added bmp to the failed fusion, replaced two screws that had backed out of the vertebre, added a cross link, and we held our breaths...little by little, mostly through some serious determination that I was NOT going to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, I got a little more able to manage to stay on my feet, although it has taken me since 2008 to get here......however, there are new problems now , the bmp has caused the dura to adhere to three levels in my lumbar spine and there still is no fusion, but due to the extensiveness of the dura being stuck, and the severity of the central canal stenosis ( 3.14 mm diameter at last check), it has caused a second case of cauda equiina at a higher level than previously, a moderate to borderline severe spondylolythesis of L3, so the game plan is to wait until I again loose the ability to walk or stand, since any surgery will result in a substantial dural tear that will take some weeks or months to heal, and the risk at this point is too great........so that's where I am for now........sorry for the length of this, but you guys asked.......LOL
  • for me i believe just all the physically demanding jobs that i have done for the last 27 years. i was a manual silkscreen printer for 11 years at one job, i know that did not help. i have had back pain forever, but my sciatic nerve pain showed up one day when i took my mower over to my mothers house to mow her lawn, i lifted out of my truck, and thats what set it off. the mower was not even heavy, a bit akward. i will never do that again, although i will lift heavier things daily.
  • My back pain came about when I was working as a nursing assistant about ten years ago. All lifting of patients by myself didn't help it at all. Just like any other place of work we were always short handed and pressed for time. At first I just went to chiro's for help, but that didn't last long. My back would have spells of hurting rather badly then it would be fine for a while. I did go to my PCP at the time and he just told me I was fat and prescribed me some lyrica for the nerve pain in my leg. I knew something other than being fat was wrong. I switched PCPs and he sent to me to physical therapy. My leg pain became so terrible that my doc finally sent me for an MRI. I had herniated L4-5 and L3-4 was bulged. I had an open discectomy, and laminectomy. They also removed a large bone spur. That was the beginning of my down hill spiral of my back problems. I have had 2 discectomies, 2 fusions and a staph infection in my incision. I go the NS surgeon next Wednesday, I am going to ask him if there is a possibility that I can have a SCS trial. Like many people here on the forum I have tried everything to help with the pain.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
    edited 05/29/2013 - 7:11 PM
    some of these are truly horrendous accidents. some are major and some minor things that cause major back issues. i think by knowing what has happened to us with respect to our back problems helps us bond and patients and posters on this site. we get a better understanding of what is going on with others and we can be thankful that the major accidents did not happen to us. mine was a minor problem, running around which caused the herniation while some like sandi went through major accidents and issues. i think this will make us closer and more understanding of what others are going through liek what was said in to kill a mockingbird, we can't understand what is going on with others until we walk with their shoes on.
    thanks for the inpuys and gives me pause to think
  • Actually an Osteopath which is a Chiropractor with an MD. I went to him with a pinched nerve in my neck. He adjusted me where they lift you back to back and crack your spine. I couldn't get out of bed the next day. Like a fool I went back to him and he cracked me again. Fast forward a few years and I had an artificial disk at L5 S1. It helped a lot but I'm in pain again. I'm having a Discogram next month to try and pinpoint the pain generator.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • scinmyheartsscinmyheart Posts: 76
    edited 05/30/2013 - 2:23 AM
    I had worked for a few years in a job moving some furniture and such, so I'm guessing my back was "on alert" for any triggers. I was helping a friend move out of his apartment and was carrying a couch out going backwards. He pushed me into the stair railing at the top of the stairs, and the railing hit right on the bone (where the dimple is at the small of your back) right at the bottom of my back. It hurt, but it was not bad enough to quit for the day. I was pretty sore that night, but come the next morning...it took a crane to get me out of bed. This was in 2000. I went to my PCP who said that it was probably just a bruise. He had his assistant come in and put me in a Rik Flair suplex move to" adjust" everything...to this day I wonder if he made things worse...no x-rays or anything else. Fast forward six months, and I was still having flare ups...x-ray at that time showed a slightly bulging disk at L5-S1...on to PT....nothing really changed for the better with that. Finally had an MRI which showed the bulging disk and minor DDD. I ended up being referred to pain management as the PCP didn't want to deal with my pain. Over the years, things just seemed to progressively go downhill. By 2006, my DDD had progressed to the L2-L5 with the L4-L5 being the worse. That disk ended up tearing with nothing much left but crumbles...ended up with a L4-L5 fusion in January 2009 for that disk while having nerve compression because of it...the neurosurgeon said after six months of right leg acting up that if something was not done, then permanent nerve damage would occur. Now, there's moderate DDD from L2-L5, facet arthropathy at L5-S1, and L3-L4/L5-S1 bulging. That bone on the right side that was initially hit is still sore to the touch. There's really nothing that is correctable at this time (have tried PT, etc to try to get the bulges down) , so I guess I'll just wait around for the next disk to blow out and go from there.
  • Jon, the way it was explained to me was the L5 and the S1 are unnaturally partially fused together on the left. I guess I was born that way. On the internet its called "sacralization of the 5th lumbar vertebrae". And yep, I'm a Bucks girl. 8-)

Sandy, I can't imagine the scare of that accident and being pregnant on top of it.

I agree completely that knowing more about each other like things like this, helps create a special bond. It also helps us understands our moods a little better as well. At least I think. I went back and re-read some of my posts and man, I must have been having a bad day on some of them because I was grouchy and it showed. 8-)
    edited 05/30/2013 - 5:07 AM
    with all of the posts going back and forth, it is remarkable that we as chronic pain people know little about how we became chronic pain patients. i'v heard i've had back pain for years and i have chronic pain, but it is remarkable that we know little about each other. getting to know each other and our reason's for chronic pain should help us when it comes to relating to each other and to helping others. also the people that i have gotten to know over the years helps me with knowing the reason for our pain and how we have been treated and coped with over the years.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    edited 05/30/2013 - 6:50 AM
    For me, everything started during high school playing 4 years of football. Back in the 60's there was not such thing as conditioning or proper techniques. So, every day we lifted weights as much as we could and as fast as we could. Then when it came to tackling, our instructions was to use your helmet and spear right into the other players helmet! I was a very aggressive football player, it was the only way I knew how to play the game.
    During that time, I had several concussions and knocked out twice. I can always remember getting up from a strong aggressive head tackle. My arms and hands were tingling and stayed number for a good amount of time.. One year of college football and those football days were over.

At around age 25 I was thrown out of a moving truck and landed on my butt and back. I dont think I ever really recovered from that. Then when I was 28, I was ice skating with a few friends, one turn and my leg gave out and all that was left was shooting pain. Result, Lumbar surgery #1.

From that point on, it was a matter that I really didnt take proper care of my back....3 more lumbar surgeries. I finally started to get smart, but by that time, my cervical discs started to cause problem. The end result - 3 ACDF surgeries.

Now in 2003 or shortly after, my lower back immobile for scar tissue and my cervical area fused, new stress was placed in my thoracic area. The new results: 4 herniated thoracic discs. This time, no surgery..

That was my beginning of my spine disruption, Mr Arthritis then took over and started to ripped apart both of my shoulders, then on to 1 hip and is now working on the other hip. Before the year is out, I will have surgery to totally replace my right hip. At least now, I have 2 brand new shoulders and soon, 2 brand new hips.

Where did it begin? Sometimes I wonder where it will end?

Jon, thanks for the thread on taking me down memory lane. Just wish I had some music to go along with it.

Twisting a little of Julius Caesar's words
    It Came, I Saw, I Conquered - Nothing is ever going to keep me down!

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sandy, I can't imagine the scare of that accident and being pregnant on top of it. -Pain in Ohio wrote

I was absolutely terrified. We were originally called in as a double fatal but I think that I almost gave the state troopers a heart attack when I finally managed to stand up.......the worst part was that I had just come off four months of bed rest due to pregnancy complications and my doctor finally cleared me to be up and about. We even asked him about going for a motorcycle ride and he okayed it. After our accident, he never allowed another patient to go on one again.
    Thankfully, our daughter was born a few months later, premature but perfectly fine. Seems that using my back to shield her was the right choice. For that, I am forever grateful.

• Reading the other stories on here makes mine seem like a cake walk. However for me it has been a nightmare that will hopefully end soon. Mine started in 2006 when I was 27. I felt a numbness in my knee and nothing else so I went to see my neurologist (I've had epilepsy since I was 12). They did an MRI and found that I had a herniated disc L5-S1 DDD and arthritis. The arthritis I know I got from my mom's side and everything else seems to be a product of that. I was very active and took ballet from 3-17 I remained active and have 3 children (2 at that time). I didn't feel any pain until 2010 and it seemed to come out of no where and it was terrible. It hurt to sit, stand and walk for more than 30 min at a time. I have a full time job so by 12 noon I was done and ready to go home but I had to push through the pain and was worthless by the time I got home. I'm sure everyone knows how that goes. I tried oral steriods, injections, nerve blocks, pain killers, muscle relaxers, creams, PT, chiropractor, nerve ablation, cymbalta, went to PM for 8 months and finally gave in and had the fusion done 6 weeks ago. Hopefully my journey through pain will be this short time although it feels as though it has been an eternity. For now patiently waiting to see some results any kind of improvement.
  • ron
    i am lucky that i have not met your friend Arthur. He sounds like he is a pain, ha ha , pardon the pun. i too was a child of the 60's and graduated high school in '65. college was different. i went on the 11 year plan. was supposed to graduate in '69, did in 76. then with my credentials and my masters in education, i got all of that finished in 96. which means i spent 30 years on and off in college with over 200 semester units. at least they give me more money. my pain journey did not start until i was in my 50's so i had a lot of good years pain free, active, and able to go boom boom with ladies. so i have 12 years of chronic pain as opposed to your many years. i feel lucky in that department at least.
  • I've had low back issues for 15 years. Three years ago I was on the first day of vacation at our cabin,I reached for the coffee pot and down to the ground I went. My lower back and upper left leg felt like I had daggers piercing them. I nursed my pain for the rest of the week with no relief. Went to my doctor and was given pain meds and muscle relaxers for two weeks. Long story short had mri then myleogram which showed a far lateral l3/l4 herniation. Had open decomperssion and laminectomy surgery. Diagnosed with failed laminectomy syndrone and neuropathy. I have had countless steroid shots, physical therapy, doctor visits, medication trials, spinal cord stimulator trial and the list goes on. Have the need to ambulate with a cane since surgery. Currently under the care of pain management (since June 2010). A real life changer. Have learned to modify, pace and replace my daily activities.
  • thanks
    all of these stories with different reasons have a common thread through them, back pain has affected our lives and we have adjusted to compensate for the pain
  • Amazing to me how many people know but don't really know where their pain started. By this I mean small triggers but no major accident. Every new specialist I see always asks me how i first injured myself and all I can do is guess. I believe the final straw that threw me into a constant pain was laying hardwood floor but looking back the issue had been off and on long before that and the cause.... I guess I will never really know. I used to think this was abnormal and feel like I was the only person out there with no dramatic injury to pin point how this whole mess started. Thank you for starting this post as it is always nice to find out we are not alone.
  • Nice thread with great responses. It's an excellent way to get to know the folks on here. Keep up the good work :-)

Kuddo's to you!

• aaron
    one does not get 100% adjusted, one just learns to put it in the back of the mind more and more. honestly, i don't really think about it that much until i get home from work and fall asleep on the couch. that is when it hits me and on the weekends where i just want to sit and relax. a week with teenagers takes it out of me. hang in there.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    A Nascar race is where it all started for me. We were camping and staying in a trailor that had bunk beds. I slept on the top bunk while my best friend slept on the bottom. She started snoring so loud that no one could sleep, even people that were not in our camper were yelling for her to shut up, Lol, I was leaning out of the top bunk hitting her to get her to stop snorning, it wasnt working. So I grabbed her blanket and figured if I pulled it off of her she would wake up, roll over or something but when I pulled on the blanket she pulled back and I filipped out of the top bunk onto the floor landing wrong on my neck. I knew I had hurt myself but didnt realize how bad until a few days later when the pain was so bad that I drove myself to ER and crawled in the door on my hands and knees, The rest is history............7 surgeries so far
  • I know how some of my problems started....some not so much...lol...

My back problems started when I was a teen, and have gotten progressively worse over the years, to where I have ended up having to call 911 (on advice from my doc at the time) because I couldn't move without screaming....which in turn, would cause more pain!!
    I have only recently found out that I have a biological uncle w/ spina bifida also....and there are several more health related things I am sure...lol
    I "broke" horses as a teen, got hit by a few cars riding my bike (nothing serious though), and worked as a dog groomers asst. for over 20 years....THIS is where I think most of my worst back issues come into play!! My boss was sick, so, being the strong gal that I was, would life ALL of the dogs into the waist high tub.....everything from shepherds, to sheepdogs and mtn. dogs to poodles.....the first time I ended up in the hosp was from taking a poodle mix out of the tub, turning to put her in a cage, and dropped to my knees!! Felt like someone shot me! A poodle!! Couldn't get out of bed...hosp sent ambulance to get me since I couldn't move....I am 35
  • Ouch! I can unfortunately see myself doing something like that too...........7 surgeries? How are you doing now?
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    As far as my cervical area goes, it is as good as it going to get. My recovery far exceeded my surgeons expectations. Dont get me wrong I still have bad days with my neck that require medication.. 5 surgeries were cervical fusions and 2 lower lumbar decompressions without fusion. I am currently dealing with a lumbar infection and am in need of fusion but according to my surgeon it is too dangerous with the on going infection. So Im stuck with the pain for the next year
  • Grayghost76GGrayghost76 Posts: 2
    edited 06/02/2013 - 6:55 PM
    I have read most of the stories above and am moved at the suffering. I have had back trouble on and off for many years but it always went away - until about 18 months ago. I was lifting something at work and something went out. At first it didn't seem bad but as the days went by it got worse so I went to the doctor utilizing workers comp. So began my long travail with a slow and insensitive system.
    I was still able to work at that point. Theysent me to get an MRI which showed stenosis and a herniated disk at L3 and L5 I think. The orthopedic doctor wanted to do some epidurals and physical therapy but the insurance company balked. I had gone through numerous pain medications up to this point without major improvement. Soon he was recommending a laminectomy. Unfortunately the insurance company higher-ups said no.
    The refusal to act began a long legal battle that continues to this day. I am bent over, often sharply, to the right as I walk and suffer serious low back pain. I get awful pain in my left leg. As sciatica run down the BACK of your leg I am confused about what is going on as most of my leg pain is in the front of the thigh or the outer shin.
    Frustrated about w.c. inaction I got some relief on my own, through my regular insurance plan, and went to a pain managemnet doctor who did 3 epidurals. The result was inconclusive. It was not a dramatic improvemnt. I also got a lot of physical therapy. At first it seemed to work, but then I had renewed difficulties and they didn't want to touch me.
    In a recent visit to a PCP I was rebuffed for seeking treatment for a w.c.matter. But honestly I don't know it the accident was the cause of my difficulties or something else is going on.
    So here I sit. Insurance is still refusing to budge and I can't get any care. I have not been able to work for 16 months now but fortunately I have a little money coming in. So I hobble around town going to the store or the library and am embarrassed to not be able to stand up straight. I keep thinking this isn't real, but every morning I wake up exhausted and in pain and moving about, trying to get things done has me practically crying to rest before long. I think the pain has me depressed but I don't like anti-depressant pills. I often take hydrocodone but it doesn't work that well. Perhaps it is not enough. What's going to happen I know not.
    I live alone and don't have much human contact.
  • I place the blame for most of my back problems on heredity and 20 years working on Submarines and Ships. Heavy seas and steel decks (floors) can put a strain and pain in your back and neck. Add to it that I used to love to run. After I quit smoking I decided to run marathons and would run one a year. In 2003 while preparing for the Marine Corp Marathon I would have to visit a chiropractor every week just to keep the training going. hindsight I should have realized my body was trying to tell me I was done running.
    I made it to about mile 20 and then couldn't run anymore, my back was killing me and even a slow job made it worse. I should have stopped but having never quit I walked the last 6 miles. When I went to my PCP he took x-rays and could see the arthritis and ordered an MRI, when I went in for the results he told me my running days were over.
    I managed to make it to 2008 before having to have a laminectomy at c4/c5. I am currently doing nightly traction for my neck and cervical and lumbar facet injections as well as bilateral lumbar foraminal injections trying to put off 3 level fusions in both cervical and lumbar regions.
    In additon to back issues arthritis has taken out my right knee and I've had a partial and a revision to full knee replacment and still experiencing hemarthrosis (bleeding in the knee causing swelling and inflamation) that I'm trying to get straithened out. As some of you know having knee or leg problems doesn't help a person with spinal issues as it can through your back completely out of wack.
    Truly appreciate this site and the help everyone gives freely.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
    edited 06/03/2013 - 10:02 AM
    like it was with me and i previously posted, i think a lot of running was the main culprit with my back going out, stenosis, disc herniation, and sciatica. the constant pounding of the feet on the ground puts stress on one's back. i did 10 miles a day, 70 miles a week for years plus supliment with tennis. a lot of stress, no wonder my back and my right leg is a mess.
  • jlrfrye said:
    As far as my cervical area goes, it is as good as it going to get. My recovery far exceeded my surgeons expectations. Dont get me wrong I still have bad days with my neck that require medication.. 5 surgeries were cervical fusions and 2 lower lumbar decompressions without fusion. I am currently dealing with a lumbar infection and am in need of fusion but according to my surgeon it is too dangerous with the on going infection. So Im stuck with the pain for the next year
    Hi Susan,
    I think that I recall reading that you had an infection, discitis? Or am I mistaken? It is going to take a year before they can go ahead with another surgery? I can understand the fear about the infection worsening or spreading due to any surgery, that's the last thing that anyone would want. I assume they have a pic line for antibiotics inserted to treat the infection?
    You sure have been through the wringer, when it comes to back and neck issues.
    I'm sorry for all that you are going through but I think you just became my new hero...I'm not sure that I could face all of that, and keep my head together.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 06/04/2013 - 5:33 AM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

First, I want to welcome you, and secondly to reassure you that you aren't alone. There are many of our members who have been where you are right now, and will be here to support you as much as we can.
    Have you consulted with a WC attorney? If not, that is the first thing that I would do , is check your phone book and start calling. Almost all attorney have a free one hour consultation. You can find out a bunch of information in that one hour, when you contact multiple attorney's and ask different questions.
    You and your doctor do have the right to appeal the decisions made by WC, but it is far easier when there is an attorney involved.
    Please hang in there, and make a few phone calls, let's see if we can get you on the road to some treatment...
  • For me it was a head on collision while out working. I thought I was fine at first a friend demanded I go seek medical help, not wanting to use the ER, I decided to go to my primary, and he said "well you seem fine take some advil and go to bed". I did the next day I woke in horrific pain. The accident was on a Thursday by Sunday I was in the ER. What lead up to the following 6 surgeries was a series of bad luck. First the pseudo, then hardware rejection, next a plate placed wrong. and finally cauda. Some of the medical treatments were delayed due to being work comp, which I think complicated things. Returning to a job I was no longer fit for, and so on. Of course adjacent disc disease was a huge issue. I was to be the picture perfect patient, otherwise healthy, a gym nut, but that was not in the cards. I tend to believe things happen for a reason and now am beginning to find the reasoning in it. I do know one thing as far as being a person, I will say my injuries overall have made me a better person. But it took a long time to come full circle to accept it. While I don't like being in constant pain, and needing more surgery, I do like the person I am becoming. Sure i might have become this person in the end, but I doubt it. I try not to relieve those early days, as it serves no purpose to me or discuss what I can't do any longer, just look forward to learning new things and who I can become.
    edited 06/04/2013 - 6:04 AM
    couple of my extra surgeries were due to the doctor taking the unnecessary hardware out to see if it improved the pain. it did not. one has to wait for 2 years to get this done by the way. they have to make sure the bone glue has hardened completely around the screws and the other metals. that is why one has to take it easy for at least a year to let everything cure and harden. i did not do it once, had to attend a teacher conference about 2 months after a fusion, told the principal and she basically said, screw off, you have to be there. so i went and what do you know my fusion at the disc broke and i had to have more surgery to fix it, last may. the doctor said i could not prove that this was the problem but i know it was. don't do more than you have to after a fusion or something will happen.