Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RA spondylisthesis, retrolisthesis and SSI disibilty possibilties

I have been struggling with severe RA with spondylisthesis of lower back, have cervical fusions of C3,4 & 5 and pins in my right shoulder. RA in itself is horrible and has wrecked my life. I haven't worked in three years and my pride and fear has been preventing me from applying social security benefits. I am all ways in pain, extremely tired all the time can't do anything my life has drastically changed for the worst. I used to very active fish, hunt, golf and all that is gone. I'm 53 year old male now and so depressed. Has anyone experienced this or has advice please help.

Severely Depressed

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    This thread has good discussions about SSD

Your situations sound similar to mine.

Best Regards,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• welcome to the wonderful world of chronic pain. a lot of us feel the same you do. the only issue i don;t have in common is that i work. i find work to be very helpful in dealing with chronic pain issues. fatigue etc. i have to have my wife help me get dressed an di am so tired but i manage to get myself together and go to work. i am 66 yrs old now. try something to take your mind off your issues. try a hobby or something to keep you busy. that is the best thing i can think of to help.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I have RA too and had back surgery march 13th. I couldn't walk last week and thought is was my back.I went to surgeon and he said its my RA. I had to get a cortisone shot in my hip.I wasn't too happy.I have gotton Remicade infusions for 3 yrs and because of my surgery ,I havnt had one since jan.I just made an appointment to start up again . I get them every 4 wks.They really make a difference.Have you ever tried Remicade?I have a cleaning business and I hope I will be able to work again.This is a very depressing desease.I refuse to let it get me. I try everything that works. My grandmother got it at 19 and she spent 50 yrs bedridden.They didn't have the drugs back then like today.Please don't give up there is so many drugs that work for RA.You can fight this.You can pm me if you like kathy
    Kathy B
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 05/29/2013 - 12:53 PM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

I'm sorry that things are so rough for you right now, and I hope that you can find some support and compassion here. Have you tried any of the newer medications for the treatment of RA? I know that RA can really take a toll on someone, so if you haven't tried any of the new medications or it's been a while since one helped, it might be worthwhile talking to your RA doctor about other options.
    If I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to send me a PM message.