Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Over the door cervical traction

About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with a C5-C6 herniated disk and bone spurs ( osteophyte complex). When I had it diagnosed I was in a lot of pain. I was given many medications (I was in the hospital for an unrelated condition) and the pain got better. The attending doctor tried to scare me and push a surgery. I saw him for a while and his solution was always surgery and didn't give me more options.

After a while my life was surprisingly normal and the pain minimal. However, just last year I tripped and fell and I started to have pain again. I also started to have a strange difficulty breathing, condition for which I have seen many doctors. Some say it may be related to the spinal problem and some say it is not, however I have found no improvement. I am not in a lot of pain, but I have this annoying tension at the base of my head that sometimes gets so bad that I get dizzy and my hearing gets affected. It gets aggravated with certain positions in which I have to tilt backwards my head (for example, if I use a recumbent bike).

I went to another doctor who told me that the tension was not caused directly by the disk but that it was caused by spasm. He prescribed muscle relaxants and an over the door cervical traction.

The traction can be done in two ways, facing towards the door and away from the door. After several attempts at speaking with the doctor on the phone, I was able to get him a message through his receptionist. I don't know how she conveyed the message but she called me back with a mildy sarcastic tone saying "extension, of course" (that is looking away from the door).

He prescribed 3 lbs which barely lifts my head. It didn't lift it but somewhat forced it into the position that provokes the spasm. I attempted for a few moments the other position (facing the door) and I felt immediate relief.

I have not been able to speak directly with my doctor and the receptionist keeps repeating the same thing. The away from the door position brings more discomfort but I am afraid to use the other position in case it results in more damage.

Any thoughts or ideas?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    has been in use for many years now and used by countless number of patients.

I used on of those for about 4 years. However, once, it was determined that I had no choice but to have cervical surgery, the use of this traction unit was ruled out. Once you have had cervical fusion, this type of treatment can have very negative impacts. So, I would stay away from this type of traction ONCE you have had cervical surgery.

But, as we are not medical professionals here, always consult with your doctor. They will have the final word on Yes or No
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Cary Quattrocchi has cervical contractions before she entered into it.