Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low back injections

Wondering if they are painful and or dangerous? Any help would be appreciated.
ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012
advertisement

Comments

• Kind of a broad based question there. Dangerous?? Well any kind of procedure that deals with your spine carries risk along with it. Obv I am no doc and have no real numbers but I know that ESIs are prob given to hundreds if not thousands of people everyday. I had 3 with no major side effects. As for pain, I expirienced none with mine. They drugged me up with some valium. I believe it was 10 mg 2 hrs before and another 10mg 30 mins before. So by the time they were shootin me i was off in the clouds. After each one I slept HARD for 4 hours once I got home. They also use a local anisthetic so I never knew they were shootin me except listening to the doc say, ok now no wiggling.

One thing I will say is the 1st one I had was on a wendesday and I went back to work on thurs and was pretty sore. The next 2 I had I took the rest of the week off work.

Good Luck!!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • There are multiple threads on here dedicated to the various types of injections. First figure out the kind you have been prescribed.... probably an ESI, but there are more than that one...If you don't know, call the nurse and ask... then place that in the search thread. People have answered this question sooo many times you might not get a lot of replies... but it would help to know exactly what kind you are having.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • karenkkkarenk Posts: 66
    edited 06/01/2013 - 12:22 AM
    Thank you for the responses. I know it was a very general question....and I appreciate your responses. I'm not scheduled to have them, I am just thinking they may be on the horizon...I have had low back pain on and off for many years and "threw my back out" again a few mornings ago. I know I have a herniated disc at L5-S1. I hate to think of having to have a lumbar fusion - the thought just terrifies me. I did have a ACDF last April. I have tried to be so very careful with my low back, but living life one can only be so careful.
    Ben, how long ago did you have yours and do they seem to be working? You must have had some type of lumbar surgery, how did that go for you?
    AllMetal, sounds like you have been through ALOT!! How are you doing now??
    Again, I appreciate it...
    ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012
  • Just came inside from supervising my husband's gardening...lol. I'm fine. Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I had 3 in like an 8 month span between dec 2011 & June 2012. Yes I did end up having a microdiscectomy sept 2012. Im doing pretty good thanks!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • I had my first (and only) one done on the 21st of last month, and have developed some bad problems since....

A lot of people get them done with no after-effects, and others, like myself, have issues after...The shot itself was very painful...more so than I have felt before! It wasn't a quick little sting (as I've heard other people say), it was like my back was on fire...and within a couple of days, I started having problems that I NEVER had before....

My hands and my calves/feet started having substantial muscle cramps, where they would go into "claws", toes and fingers going in all opposite directions causing me some nasty pain! I have marked decrease in strength and grasp in both hands, more so than before...and both legs, but mostly my left almost goes out from under me. Shaky almost all the time, like I haven't eaten in awhile, and my back....THAT feels like someone is constantly kicking/stabbing/electrocuting me...

So, ya....not again for me!!! I am actually looking into surgery, since it seems that is the only way I will get some relief......hopefully....
    -Susan
advertisement