Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain worsens after cortisone injection?

I am new to this site so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. Yesterday I received cortisone injections in my lower back by my bottom. I have scoliosis an degenerative arthritis in my spine. After getting the injections the pain in my back, hips and legs got t least 4x worse. Is this normal for a few days after? Will it get better or at least back to how it was before?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Yes that's normal it hurts bad after the shot then after a couple of days to a week it should feel better.The dr should of told you that. Hope you feel better kathy
    Kathy B
  • Bubsmomma1BBubsmomma1 Posts: 2
    edited 05/31/2013 - 11:38 AM
    The dr didn't say much of anything to me before during or after the procedure unfortunately. I spoke with his nurse this afternoon who recommended going to the convenient care with the hospital
  • having issues..2 weeks past!! The docs office that gave me the shot didn't have any answers for me in regards to what I am still going through :( They told me if I felt I need, go to the ER, since they couldn't help me....
  • I have found that ice packs help more then anything else. I keep an assortment of ice packs in the freezer, and when my pain gets bad, I wrap one in a dishtowel and put it where the pain is the worst.

After t6wo weeks, the pain should be better. I would go to my GP, just to get it checked out. Be sure to tell him about not getting any information from the other Dr.
    I have Ankolysing Spondylits, Ulcerative Colitis, DDD and a bit of OA to make things fun. Most of my problems are due to inflation of many joints, tendons and ligaments. I see a GP, a Rheumatologest, an orthopedic Dr and a wonderful PM.
  • WOW sorry to hear about this added stress. ..did YOU get pain meds before this procedure or along with it? I don't know, but it seems to ME that such injections aren't really worth it, if it seems to make a person worse. btw, your doctor/office people sure don't seem very nice or caring either.
  • Chances are that you hurt more for a while after. They inject you with fluid around the nerves and joint. You are fairly deeply prodded in your spine which will make you a bit sore after the anestetic wears off. The fluids take some time for the body to absorb. Also, sometimes the tissue around the injection site will get irritated from the procedure and flare up for a while before everything calms down. I am not a medical professional, just another spiney who has had these injections for years, and every time they hit me differently. These are strictly my opinions from experience, not professional.
    Your doctor should gave told you all this before your procedure, so you know what to fully expect! It might get worse before it gets better. For me, I often need that 2nd or 3rd shot before I get the full benefit. Sometimes the first shot has irritated my nerve even more and sent me into a flare until the steroids have started kicking in (up to two weeks in my case), sometimes I have gotten the benefits within days. Yes, ice has helped me too!

Blueyedwolf, did you get your injection from a pain management clinic? If so, they should never "dump" your follow up care on th ER and they should fully disclose what you can expect before, during and after a procedure with them. Any procedure.
    They are responsible for your care and follow up care if they perform the procedure! If you have great pain after, they better listen to you and help you! It upsets me to hear this.
    I have been with my pain clinic for 5 years and on those occasions my pain is over the edge despite meds and injections and lord knows what, and Im ready to go to the ER, I call them no matter what time of the day, and they are there for me (it has happened twice in 5 years). You deserve that type of pain management team around you.

Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • I had a nerve root block done in last year and I was extremely sore but a month later it never wemt away. I then was sent for a microdisectomy and now 3 weeks ago I was given Facet joint injections and am worse off than before I had the surgery. Im still searching to see info on anything about people having an adverse reaction to the steroids.

Everyone is different of you read up in some cases pain does increase. I would definitely drill your doc next time with questions, wrote down a list if you need to so that way you cover all your bases. Im hoping your pain disapates for you good luck
  • blueeyedwolf1977 said:
    having issues..2 weeks past!! The docs office that gave me the shot didn't have any answers for me in regards to what I am still going through :( They told me if I felt I need, go to the ER, since they couldn't help me....

This would be a warning sign to me that you need to find a different PM! If their not willing to do anything or see you then all kinds of bells and whistles should be going off. Unfortunately, there are some clinics that are there simply to do procedures and get paid versus those who actually care about how you feel.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2