Hi guys, i'm a 1st time poster but have been following your stories for months. you all have given me strength and courage, and for that i am grateful, so i just want to start off by saying "thank you."
I am a 40 yo female, i have DDD and 2 cervical herniations from c5-c7 (i believe from an auto accident 20 years ago). I've seen chiropractors on and off since 2001. In 2012 I decided to see a NS, of course he sent me for physical therapy, esi, trigger point injections, botox injections, and massage therapy. In April i decided i had exhausted my conservative options and since my pain never went away,i scheduled my surgical consult. My NS confirmed i was indeed a surgical candidate. The surgeons's surgery of choice is an artificial disc at c5-c6 and then a 1 level fusion at c6-c7. My second option is a 2 level fusion. Of course, my insurance denied the artificial disc saying it is experimental and wants me to have a 2 level fusion.
I am considering paying out of pocket for the artificial disc (which is pretty expensive) and having my insurance pay for the 1 level fusion.
I know that surgical outcomes are not guaranteed, but i was wondering if any of you have had this dilemma or know of any one that faced making these decisons. I pretty much go back and forth every day. What would you do--adr or the "gold standard" acdf?
Thanks for listening and sorry so long,