Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What causes sleep problems and body aches?

victorjiemvictorjiem Posts: 1
edited 06/13/2013 - 8:41 PM in Sleep Problems
Very long story short, I am a 31 year old married mother of two. My only real medical history is MVP and ITP, both are well controlled and do not require medication.

Over the past 6 or 7 years have battled body aches, severe at times, almost debilitating. They went from every few months to almost every day. Flu-like and concentrated around my joints at times, although not exclusively.

I have recently, within the last few months been battling sleep problems as well, I can sleep a couple of hours when I first lay down, but within 2 hours, I am startled awake and cant fall back to sleep. If I do, its no more than 20 minutes and I am back up. I do this for several hours, before I finally fall asleep just about the time my kids are waking up! :)

Not sure if it is pertinent or not, but I have also been experiencing some digestive problems recently at times.

I saw my PCP, a new one, because mine moved out of state... My new doc said it may be fibromyalgia, and referred me to a rheumatologist, but I cant get in until the end if July because they are so busy.

I have also recently tried to g gluten-free, on the advice of a friend who has a gluten allergy. It seems to have helped the body aches quite a bit, maybe not the digestive problems, and not helped at all with the sleep problems.

My question is, are these all most likely related, unrelated, and/or, any ideas on what it might be, home-remedies, tests to request, etc. ? I am desperate!

• Most of the health problems are due to lack of some necessary nutrient in your daily diet. First of all, you should check for this. Another factor that causes sleep problems is not taking breakfast, lunch and dinner at proper timings. This results in stomach disorder, which also disturbs your brain. Furthermore, if you are not taking proper sleep for a long time than this will results in permanent sleep problem.
  • I don't know what MVP and IVT are. The achiness sounds like it could be fibro. Also, with fibro, the area of pain can vary from one area to another. A rheumy can help determine if it is. You could check into fibro more and look into trigger points to see if these spots are painful. Talk to him about your sleep issues. Lack of sleep makes everything worse because your body can't rejuvinate. You might be able to try melatonin which is a natural sleep inducer, but you might check with your doctor first.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Welcome to our forum! I can't really comment on any of your issues as I do not have MVP nor many of the other issues you are facing. I am however a mom of two kids and I'm in my 30's. I have found that Tylenol PM (which is just Tylenol with benydril) and Melatonin greatly helps me get to sleep and sleep through the night. Both are over the counter, HOWEVER I'd be CERTAIN to check with your PCP about both meds before trying them to be sure they are safe for you (especially with your other health conditions). Also, melatonin comes in different strengths so you might want to ask the PCP what strength you should start with and what amount can you safely increase it to. Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.