Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tennis Anyone?

Tennis was my main form of exercise and an excellent stress reliever for me for many years before back pain took me out of the game. I'm curious if any of you have been able to play again after your surgery. I had an ALIF/PLIF at L3-4 and L4-5 in December. My back feels great and I want to start playing again. Any good news out there for an anxious tennis player?
L3-4 Grade 2 Spondylolisthesis
L4-5 Ruptured Disc
DDD throughout Lumbar spine

• I had a similar question. I was a racquetball player and really miss it. I had discectomy and laminectomy in early May. Did you get back to tennis? If so, how did it go? Anyone else return to similar sports? How long did it take before you were able to return?
  • SueDSSueD Posts: 545
    edited 07/06/2013 - 7:22 PM
    It's great that, after having your surgery, you now feel well enough to embark on some exercise. But please.......... be careful. Do not do any exercise which might exacerbate your condition and ALWAYS have a chat with your surgeon first to ascertain if they think it's safe for you to take on such strenuous exercise/hobbies again.

Krystal - if you only had your 2 level fusion last December it may be that your vertebrae haven't fused 100 per cent yet. From my own experience it took well over a year to fully fuse, so please be kind to your spine. It's the only one you have, so get your surgeon's advice ok?

For me personally, I love watching tennis. I used to play it when I was at school a hundred years ago, but Wimbledon fortnight is the highlight of my year! Now, thanks to the successful results from the Nevro spinal cord stimulator, I can sit for longer periods and have enjoyed watching as much as possible this year. It's the finals this afternoon here in the UK and our Andy Murray is playing, SO COME ON ANDY!!!! I can't wait.

Perhaps you could let us all know what advice you are given from your health professionals - it may be helpful for other members too who have similar questions ok.

Take good care x
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Thanks, Sue.

I plan to wait until I have healed longer. I'm just wondering how long that will be. I'm hoping others will post details regarding when they were able to return to sports like tennis and racquetball (activities which include twisting and turning). I'm just curious how long I will have to wait.