Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain after SCS implant

Hello, This is my first posting on this forum. I have a Medtronic model #37714 SCS implant put in on 11/28/2012. The first six weeks everything seem to be going well. Once put on auto stim things went down hill fast. The rep. who programed may have missed a step. My stim went to 10.0 on mobile causing me to fall. Since then I have lost feeling in both feet when stim is on,when off both feet feel like walking on hot shards of glass. I developed coliatis 5 days after fall and have lost coverage in lower back. Reps. have tried to adjust many times to no success. At the implant site of generator I have a sharp burnning pain,I get a shock in the middle of my back where leads are place,after about 20 mins of being on I get nausea, blatter feels full,pain in chest wall. Now when I turn off I still feel like my getting shocks. Has anybody experince any of these side effects?

• I've had these symptoms except for the fall. Now when I'm feeling like I have a jackhammer inside of me I know the pulse rate is too hard or the pulse width is too wide. When I lost feeling they did alittle "polarizing" of the implant from the programmer. After you turn it off I'm told there are times we are going to still feel it. I feel it in the spine when I have it jacked up at times and wow does that hurt!!
    when I couldn't feel it anymore first thing they did was an x-ray to make sure it was intact.
    I know it's frustrating but frankly it's worth it to me because I cannot NOT have it. Hang in there sometimes when the areas are taking hold of the implant it takes a bit especially if you follow the strict activity orders, I know it's not much help but you are not alone
    take care
  • I've only had my scs for a few months, and although besides the part where I can feel it even when I just turn it off or how scared I would be if I went to 10 on mobil, I can't relate with the other things.

Do you have a group for the adaptive stim and one where you can change the pulse width? If you do, try to go with out adapt stim and adjust your pulse width. I'm just tossing ideas out.

Most importantly, I'd like to wish you luck. I feel very fortunate to have the scs and it actually help with my pain for the first time in years, and assume that yourself as along with others feel the same way. I would be so afraid and sad if I were to loose any relief I've just gained.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • for the unit say about the difficulties you are experiencing? If you have discussed the problems with them and are not getting any satisfactory answers, I would contact the manufacturer directly and ask for a more experienced rep to come and reprogram the stimulation patterns to find some other programs that don't create these problems.
    If that doesn't work , it might be time to revisit the surgeon who implanted the device and see what options they can offer you to fix this.
  • Has anyone ever had problems with this? Mine has been in for two years now and I have had nothing but issues. It seems to be shocking me where the leads are placed. When turned off I feel like it is still on. I have talked to the rep about this and there is nothing they can adjust. Sine I have had the implant my pain seems to have gotten worst, also I have had kidney issues. At the implant sight I have this horrible pain around the generator. My doctor says removing it could cause more problems because of the scar tissue. I would like to hear about anyone with issues.
  • My leads were implanted at Cervical 2-3 in July 2010. Still today I experience painful "electric-like" sensations in my neck, shoulders, arms., and at times, pain in the hip where the battery was located. The SCS went crazy on me a few weeks after implantation as I stood in a Bonefish Grill restaurant. Making a very long story short, I was fortunate to have the entire system removed in December 2011. It had been determined at Mayo Clinic that the connections had dislodged.
    I continue to live with the consequences of the SCS 5 years later now. PLEASE consider the possible outcomes before agreeing to such a surgery.
    Does anyone know how to locate SCS result stats?
    Thank you for this opportunity to share. God Bless.
    1996 - C4-5, C5-6 Fusions
    2010 - Medtronic Cervical SCS (leads implanted at C-2)
    2010 - SCS went AWRY :( .
    2011 - SCS REMOVED :)
    2011 - SEID
    Please......Do not agree to CERVICAL SCS w/o researching outcomes.
    God Bless you :)

• I have new SCS leads manufactured by St Jude's (which gave me 99.9% pain relief after 5 years) and so I can't speak to your specific device, however I do know that I had a bad fall 1 month after surgery (was pulled face first, hands over my head by my momma pony) after that day everything changed. Yesterday Xrays confirmed leads were pulled down from T-8 to T-9. During the waiting time to convince Dr that something was wrong I also have dealt with more burning pain that I never experienced before. I tell you all this to say this...your fall may have caused migration of leads