Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with MRI Report/Decoding the problem..

Hi all.. I am a 40 y/o male, that has been experiencing chronic pain in my right leg. Almost to the point I can't walk for more than a short period of time until it starts to throb. Most of the time the pain is on my outer thigh, but to lift my leg into pants, into the car, and even into the shower, the pain is more throughout my inner thigh. I have seen a NS, in February (this pain has been going on since October of last year) and he sent me to pain management. I had 3 rounds of epidorals (3 shots each) in the L4/L5 L5/S1 areas, that has not worked. I have had chriropractic, and hasnt worked. The NS sent me for a 2nd MRI, and here are the items in the conclusion.. this has been my 2nd MRI. I was wondering what treatment would be for this? What does it all mean?

L4-L5 disc desiccation with a left paracentral and foraminal disc extrusion impinging the descending left L5 nerve root. This is not appreciately changed. There is encroachment upon the exiting L4 nerve roots.

L5-S1 mild bulge without canal stenosis or foraminal narrowing.

Also up in the findings it says (and I assume this is a comparison to the one I had 7 months ago):

Small Schmorl's nodes are seen in the opposing endplates at the T11-T12. There is endplate change seen at the anterior superior T12 endplate. There is slight loss of height at L4-5 with endplate change seen posteriorly. This is grossly unchanged.

L4-L5: There is a central and left paracentral disc extrusion with impingement upon the decending left L5 nerve root. There is biforaminal narrowing with encroachment upon the exiting L4 nerve roots due to biforaminal bulges and facet anthropathy.

L5-S1: Thre is a mild bulge without canal stenosis.

What would my next steps be? I excersize when I can, I have done injections, chiro, massage, and it just hasn't gotten any better.. and sometimes feels worse..

• you need to ask your doctor. we are not in a position to answer since we are not doctors. the medical jargon also gets in the way since most of us do not understand what it means. ask your doctor to explain in plain english what it means and to also show you on your mri as he is answering you. this is the best thing to do. he is in the best position to answer your medical questions, ie more injections, meds, surgery etc.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I thought this would be a forum that I can ask these types of questions, since the pain is daily, and my appointment isn't for another week. Also perhaps by posting this, I would be able to gain some more knowlege BEFORE I got there to ask the right questions, in case others perhaps have had the same issues, and what their experience might have been.

I guess this was the wrong place to ask.
  • there are rules for the spinal health forum and i believe one of them is not to give out medical advice. that is like being in the hospital and asking your nurse what your test meant. they legally can't tell you. only your doctor can give out that information. i suggest you look faq and it will have a whole list of items to look at including rules of the site.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • We can not interpret MRI results for many reasons but mostly because no one is qualified to give you those results in part because test results are one small part of the results/consult . The examination your doctor does is far more important .
    There are resources and libraries at the top of the page if you would like to read about what some of the terms may mean but we can't suggest treatment options.