Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did it Help?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
edited 06/04/2013 - 9:22 AM in Pain Management
I created a thread As good as it gets and Rick asked about what did and did not work for me..

So, here is my list, but dont try to compare or mimic mine. I tried to compile this list looking over the past 30 years or so and for my Lumbar, Cervical, Thoracic, Shoulder and Hip problems.

Oxycodone IR 5mg Just to take the pain edge off - (2 to 5 capsules daily)
Baclofen 10mg For me, the best muscle relaxer, no problems functioning, not tired, not considered addictive, room for dosage alterations
Voltaren Very effective in joint arthritis pain
Trigger Point Injections Calmed down almost every flare up I had

Conservative Treatments

Physical Therapy - Shoulder Without PT for my shoulders, I would have very limited range of motion
Aqua Therapy Found that walking was the most effective
Walking With Good foot support and moderate terrain

Alternative Treatments

Deep Tissue Massage A mix between the original traditional Thai Deep Tissue and Western Soft Tissue Massage - Saved me and continues to save me!
BioFreeze Gel Most effective of non-prescription ointments

Oxycontin, Opana ER Helped, but taking it for over two years, various dosages had different results
Neurontin Has helped, be taking it for almost 4 years, still have nerve pain, but without it - who knows?
Lidoderm Patches Helped take the edge away -
ESI 50-50 here. Better success with Lumbar and Cervical. No relief for Thoracic problems

Conservative Treatments

Physical Therapy Sessions directly after surgery or major flare ups helped. (see below)
Acupuncture Helped, but short term only and expensive
Portable Tens Unit Helped, but like acupuncture, short term.
Traction - Formal Helped with Lumbar, most effective for Thoracic, but short term only
Traction - Informal Over the door home unit - PRIOR to my cervical surgeries was effective in providing neck relief and headache relief.
Heat / Ice Depending on when, where and how, it has helped over the years

Alternative Treatments

Aroma Therapy Selecting the essential oil to address current condition. There are essential oils for relaxing, energy, sleep, etc
Music Therapy Selecting relaxing music, lights out, combined with aroma therapy
Walk behind Lawn Mower Level terrain, similar to walking, but needed to control time/distance

Zanaflex While it was the most effective in terms of muscle relaxers, I was basically useless on it.
Lyrica Low dosage (75mg) nothing, Higher dosage (150mg) drowsy, leg and feet sweeling
Steroid Injections - JOINT 6 out of 8 Shoulder injections helped. 1 out of 3 Hip injections helped, one cause major problems.

Conservative Treatment

Physical Therapy I have to explain this more. The initial PT always did what it was suppose to do, but there was
a point, where additional PT sometimes caused problems. Had to find that line with all the PT sessions I have had over
the years.
Aggressive Aqua Therapy Use of Paddles or other strengthen devices caused thoracic and other flareups

Alternative Treatment

Meditation / Breathing Control Not sure, only because I could really not get into the proper stage

Osteopathic and Cranial Massage May work wonders for some, but the DO's I saw were trying to convince me that I felt better under their treatment.

I have probably left some out, but for now this is the list I can think of
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com