Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long time lurker, in between surgeries.

gunhoneyggunhoney Posts: 2
edited 06/04/2013 - 7:59 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 29 year old female, I have a beautiful five year old daughter, and a loving husband. I haven been battling severe back pain since I was 15. I have DDD, permanent numbness in my right leg (outer three toes), stenosis. Most injuries occur at L5/S1. I also have fibromyalgia.

Prior treatment-
13 epidurals
2 facet injections

Previously on gabapentin, tried Lyrica and Cymbalta but put on 60lbs in 2 months. Switched to Gralise finally.

March 1 I finally had to have emergency surgery due to loss of bladder control. I agreed to a laminectomy and microdiscectomy at L5/S1. I have now been basically bedridden for six months and I am having a fusion on Friday.

I desperately need my life back. I am depressed, sad, I can't explain the despair I have from missing so much of my life. I am not a homebody at all but I've gotten used to it because I am in so much pain I can't bear to leave the house. I've tried but after 10 minutes I am ready to come back. If it weren't for my tempur-pedic and my medications I don't know how I would have made it this long.

I resisted surgery for years. I did everything, including chiropractic- where I received horrible advice from multiple doctors. Surgery was necessary years ago and I wish I had done it much sooner instead of spending literally half my life in excruciating pain. I sincerely hope my surgery Friday gives me my life back.

It was important for me to mention how reading these forums has helped me over the last six months. I am extroverted but haven't wanted to talk about what I'm going through at all. You have all been so helpful.
advertisement

Comments

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 06/04/2013 - 3:26 PM
    I'm glad the forum has helped. It's great to have a family to love and who love you. I know mine have kept me going even when depression has been at its worst. I also have a numb right foot...and fibromyalgia. It's tough because pain from fibro can be as unrelenting as spine pain, Sometimes it is difficult to know what pain is caused by which because the inflammation from fibro can cause nerve or referred pain. I have found that the fusion has helped with the nerve pain down the legs.

I wish you luck. Review the "stickies" about things before and after surgery. Feel free to p.m. me if you want. I try to check in every few days.

KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Good luck on Friday! I am sure it will help. I had a 360 fusion back in 2010. It did not remove all my pain, but it was very effective in getting feeling back in my leg and foot. I found it hard to walk w/no feeling in my left leg and foot.

You are lucky to have a loving spouse and daughter to support and motivate you. I don't know if I could have made it through all this w/out my wife and 2 kids. My son is so good about making sure I go for a walk everyday. He makes it fun. I love listening to the things he comes up w/to talk about. Little people are great. As soon as you can start walking.

This site has helped a lot of us. It's nice to have a place where you can talk about what you are going thru w/others who know what you are going thru.
  • I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

dilauro

tamtam

Liz

Sandi

JellyHall

***********************************************************************************************
    Was your emergency surgery due to Cauda Equina Syndrome? I ask because as you can see from my own signature, I have had it twice, still have it in fact...I hope that your surgery this time will help you to get back into living your life. As difficult as things can be, we all need support . Check out our patient and surgery forums and you will find lots of people who will be here to help you through.